skype graphics pixelated when in call.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

skype graphics pixelated when in call.

some of the graphics in skype are extremely pixelated when in a call!

any ideas how i can fix this? i've tried updating my graphics drivers. deleting the config.xml file. im running direct x 9.0c.

i was going to post a screen shot of the issue, but it appears im not aloud to post pictures here?! so your gunna have to use your imaginations!

Cheers

Will

mr_william
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (10,257 Views)

Re: skype graphics pixelated when in call.

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released August 23, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

This new version is 5.5.0.114 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Please ask others you have video calls with to do the same.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1615
Message 2 of 9 (10,187 Views)

that is infact the version i'm running.

mr_william
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (10,185 Views)

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to your system and any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please see this:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

http://support.skype.com/en/category/VID_CALLING/

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

Note: The Sound Check Wizard also supports Video as well.

A new version has just been released August 23, 2011:

Please install over what you have using this and when prompted, please choose open or run: http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

This new version is 5.5.0.114 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 9 (10,182 Views)

i ran the 'dxdiag' from the run to determin my direct x version, which is 9.0c

1. Ensure that DirectDraw Acceleration and Direct3D Acceleration are enabled.

2. On theDisplaytab, in theDirectX Featuresarea, ensure thatDirectDraw AccelerationandDirect3D Accelerationare listed as "Enabled".
  3. Check theNotesarea at the bottom of theDisplay tab, and check that no problems are found.

i checked this information, it is all as it should be.

as far as the video is concerned, i'm not actually running a webcam. its the graphics when using voice chat that are effected.

i've also noticed that the sound, on the ring tone is particularly grainy, distorting slightly with a flicker - similar to the sound a cell phone would make if close to a speaker.

mr_william
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (10,174 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 9 (10,170 Views)

I know that it's been a while, but I ran into a pixelated icon and button problem just now and thought that I should share my solution here. Changing the Windows font scaling from 125% to 100% fixed the display of my icons. I imagine that having the font scaling at 150% would be even worse.

-Simon

SimonGC
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 9 (4,110 Views)

This is the exact issue I was having. Went through several pages of support till I found this. Thanks for great idea!

That will be a fun issue for the programmers to fix....

coxtrevor
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (3,918 Views)

I made the mistake of downloading windows 8.1 - had bought a new computer in Aug 2013 and was stuck with windows 8. However up until I downloaded 8.1, Skype was fine. But tonight we Skyped our son & his family and they looked like Dali painting! We tried turning off the computer & turning it back on, but still the videos was terrible. Has anyone had this problem, and if so is there a fix for it?
Kathynpb
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (486 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling