skype does not recognize my webcam

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: skype does not recognize my webcam

[ Edited ]

Yes have re installed that vesion and turned off auto updates, restarted computor, cam works ok on windows and manufacturer says cam is compatible with Sype.Cam mic works on Skype so can't understand why video is not recognised.

jonty32
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 21 of 36 (1,157 Views)

What is the model of your webcam?

What exactly do you see in Skype -> Tools -> Video settings?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6402
Message 22 of 36 (1,151 Views)

Manhattan CAM760 Pro HD, not on the computer that we are trying to install cam, but frm memory page comes up with the note that Skype cannot find cam. Then offers links to shop, how to use video calling ect.

The chat support said that we should get a dropdown menu showing webcams and we select the make we have. That didn't happen.

jonty32
Novel Adventurer
Message 23 of 36 (1,147 Views)

Try to connect this webcam to another USB port. Avoid using unpowered USB hubs.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6402
Message 24 of 36 (1,139 Views)

The USB port used is on the pc so is powered.
jonty32
Novel Adventurer
Message 25 of 36 (1,134 Views)

[ Edited ]

ruwim wrote: Have you tried to install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer?

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for posting this fix. My MD80 Mini DV camera was functioning properly in Windows XP SP3 but not recognized as a webcam in Skype 6.5.

//////////

Pacer304
Novel Tourist
Message 26 of 36 (901 Views)

I have tried with both the latest version of Skype and the previous one but the program bo longer reconizes the presence of my Logitech 9000 Pro Webcam. This is try on my mainframe (running Win7) and my Noteook (running WinXP). Everything was fine until recently. Is there some issue with this particular camera and/or some versions of Skype? This is extremely frustrating and have seem several posts here with much the same issue but few solutions provided. Thanks.

jcurtin
Novel Adventurer
Message 27 of 36 (377 Views)

My laptop has two webcams listed in device manager (one is external and one built in). Both work perfectly. In fact, Skype recognises thebuilt in mic on the webcam as a mic input - but still says there are no webcams attached.

All drivers updated.

Tried using the older version of Skype which seems to work for some. it DOES NOT WORK for me.

There are a large volume of complaints regarding this issue online. Skype mods are apparently not interested in fixing it.

Unless I receive a reply that fixes the issue within 24 hours, I will uninstall Skype and use an alternative method of making video calls. I am tired of trawling about on the net and tweaking my laptop settings, uninstalling and reinstalling software when this is YOUR FAULT.

leeboyd
Novel Adventurer
Message 28 of 36 (359 Views)

ps

THE SKYPE HOME PAGE REPORTS THAT MY WEBCAM HAS A BUILT IN MIC WHICH I SHOULD USE....BUT STILL TELLS ME I HAVE NO WEBCAM INSTALLED ON THE VIDEO SETTINGS PAGE!!!

Well done, Microsoft - you bought Skype and managed to break it within weeks.

leeboyd
Novel Adventurer
Message 29 of 36 (356 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I am astonished at how many complaints of this nature there are and now few responses. Also did all the things you did, to no avail.

jcurtin
Novel Adventurer
Message 30 of 36 (356 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling