skype does not detect webcam

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

skype does not detect webcam

[ Edited ]

Hi, trying to set up. I can receive audio and video and send audio. For video I am successfully inputting a video camera into my computer [using PC], inputs fine into Premiere and other programs, but even with these programs closed, Skype sees no webcam connected. FAQ seems unhelpful, device manager does list the camera also. Ideas? thanks

ruwim
Community Ambassador

Accepted Solution

MikeLandau wrote:

It's a Sony DV camera, but clearly it works right inputting to the camera as its input can be captured and viewed in Adobe Premiere and other programs. Just not Skype.

Digital Video Cameras are not directly recognisable by Skype. See e.g. this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7360518_use-dv-cameras-skype.html

View solution in original post
MikeLandau
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 38 (22,974 Views)

Re: skype does not detect webcam

What type of Webcam?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6846
Message 2 of 38 (22,964 Views)

i'm having a similar problem.

i can call fine. and the call works fine for about 2-3 hours.
after that my cam will freeze. if i try to turn it off and back on it will say my cam is in use by another program.

no other programs are running.

to fix it i have to restart my laptop. but the problem persists after another 2-3 hours.

i have updated all drivers and have the newest version of skype. nothing resolves it.

any help would be appreciated.
zikreg
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 38 (22,961 Views)

It's a Sony DV camera, but clearly it works right inputting to the camera as its input can be captured and viewed in Adobe Premiere and other programs. Just not Skype.

MikeLandau
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 38 (22,954 Views)

MikeLandau wrote:

Digital Video Cameras are not directly recognisable by Skype. See e.g. this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7360518_use-dv-cameras-skype.html

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6426
Message 5 of 38 (22,950 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Ruwim, this is presumably the problem. I tried the free software mentioned in your link; Skype still cannot see my camera using Splitcam, but with Trackercam I succeeded. Thanks!

MikeLandau
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 38 (22,946 Views)

I have MacBook Pro connected to an Apple 27" display.  The cover on my MacBook Pro is closed and Skype does not recognize the camera on my display.  The camera works fine when I use Apple's Photo Booth.

jck300
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 38 (22,580 Views)

jck300 wrote:

I have MacBook Pro connected to an Apple 27" display.  The cover on my MacBook Pro is closed and Skype does not recognize the camera on my display.  The camera works fine when I use Apple's Photo Booth.

You're posting in a Windows forum.  Create a new thread/subject of your own with as many details as possible in the Mac forum:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/bd-p/Mac

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1112
Message 8 of 38 (22,334 Views)

I have recently had the same problem my built in webcam on my HP laptop just shows a blblack screen on preview or when I video call.  I can see the other person. Device manager says my device is working properly and has the latest driver.  Can someone help?

edwardo184
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 38 (21,932 Views)

edwardo184 wrote:

I have recently had the same problem my built in webcam on my HP laptop just shows a blblack screen on preview or when I video call.  I can see the other person. Device manager says my device is working properly and has the latest driver.  Can someone help? 

Which graphics card is installed on your computer?

What is the version of Skype program you are on now?
In Skype, Click Help >> About Skype

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6846
Message 10 of 38 (21,922 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling