sign-in stuck in infinite loop

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

sign-in stuck in infinite loop

Hi,

so here's the deal: whenever i try to sign into skype the blue circle gets stuck in a spin. I've let it run for hours but nothing appears to change. the circle just keeps spinning on and nothing happens!

i've already uninstalled and re-installed it twice, and the problem persists. is it a problem with my computer?

i have a windows 7 home premium 64-bit (6.1 build 7600)

please help, i need to 'fype' my long distance girlfriend!!!!

nellynelss
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 20 (15,619 Views)

Re: sign-in stuck in infinite loop

if i wasnt clear enough before....i can't sign in. i just sit at the login screen and watch my blue circle spin

nellynelss
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 20 (15,369 Views)

Try this.

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up, type

%appdata% <enter>.

Scoll down to find \Skype folder and rename it to something like \Skype_old.

Start Skype and see if you can login now.

If that procedure works for you, your chat and call history will be in a file in \Skype_old.  It can be recovered if you need to use it.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 906
Message 3 of 20 (15,359 Views)

hey thanks for the reply. 

unfortunately that didnt work. i renamed it to /skype_old like you said, but the problem persists....and when i started skype it recreated the original /skype folder

really not sure what the problem is here

nellynelss
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (15,356 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the whole idea of renaming that folder is for Skype to recreate it and the files in it when you start Skype again.

Next thing I'd suggest trying is installing the latest beta version, 5.7.0.123.  You can download the installer here:  www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

edit:  Can you browse websites normally in Internet Explorer, even if IE isn't your default browser?   If so, you might try clearing IE's cache by going in IE to Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Delete. 

I haven't seen this problem reported recently but Skype depends on IE and in the past, some items in IE's cache have prevent Skype from logging in.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 906
Message 5 of 20 (15,351 Views)

it seems skype v 5.7 works fine, but i dont have my contacts.

Thanks for the patience and help and have a great night

hat tip to you

nellynelss
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (15,344 Views)

nellynelss wrote:

it seems skype v 5.7 works fine, but i dont have my contacts.

Thanks for the patience and help and have a great night

hat tip to you

This might be just a matter of time for your contacts to appear again. However, first you must ensure that your connection status is online. The status icon (the one left of your name) must be solid green with a white checkmark inside. Try to change the connection status using the dropdown arrow next to this icon. This might also make your contacts to appear in the contact list.

Another thing you can do is to re-establish you call and chat history, which should also result in refreshing your contacts list. Open the Skype_old folder. Find there a folder with the name of your Skype account. In this folder you should see a file named main.db. It might be that you will only see the name “main” but with the description Data Base in the Type column. Copy this file and paste it to the same sub-folder in the re-created Skype folder. Make sure that you overwrite the existing main.db file and not just paste the old file as a copy.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 5982
Message 7 of 20 (15,332 Views)

Just tried the procedure above but Skype still stuck on signing on.  Any other fix I can try? Thanks

Etienne55
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 20 (8,668 Views)

I am having the same issue and none of the above fixes worked for me. Please help!

JenniferW
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 20 (8,652 Views)

I have the exact same problem but on a mac. CAN ANY ONE HELP PLZ

CJeddings
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 20 (8,539 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling