Re: "skype has stopped working" error message

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Yes, all of that is the same.

Thanks for staying with this...

eric8030
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 21 of 40 (2,784 Views)

Faulting Application skype.exe version 5.8.0.156, faulting module skype.exe, version 5.8.0.156, fault address 0x001e4187...

Exactly the same issue i am encountering except this is on Windows XP Home Edition.

Have tried installing previous Beta versions too and exactly the same issue Skype crashes after sign in...

vicky1976
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 22 of 40 (2,774 Views)

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostic program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. You may attach this file to your post. Perhaps some useful information on the system and potential problems will be to find in this file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7348
Message 23 of 40 (2,769 Views)

Still the same problem. Tried latest version, found somewhere in old "install directory", tried to uninstall and regclean, tried regsvr32 jscript, tried disabling AV/FW software. W7 ultimate 64bit (running on Citrix XenServer if it may be important), enough RAM.

Crashes in a few seconds after typing anything in login/password fields.

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 5.6.59.105, time stamp: 0x4e8046f7
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000204
Faulting process id: 0x117c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccf8c215a4af80
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 6ac5c670-64b5-11e1-a44b-2ec8986d4040

FunnyUser
Casual Adventurer
Message 24 of 40 (2,757 Views)

Just for testing purpose try to start Skype with the old (legacy) login screen.

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. If you have 64-bit Windows then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" (or with (x86) if you are on 64-bit Windows). Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

In the case of 32-bit system 

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

In the case of 64-bit system

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 25 of 40 (2,750 Views)

I have tried everything and am still getting SKYPE Home unavailable although I clicked the download the Business version. This has been down for two days and I'm beyond pissed. There is no way in hell I would spend money on Skype Premium when the regular version doesn't work. 

Something has got to give. I'm using Windows Vist 32bit and I'm using 5.8 and it happened when I upgraded. I was using the Beta version updated to the regular version and now for the last two days I haven't been able to use Skype at all. I've done everything from deleting to reinstalling, renaming, the whole kitten litter. 

What gives: 

zlspublishing
Novel Tourist
Message 26 of 40 (2,732 Views)

Oh **bleep**, I've forgot /legacylogon. It didn't disturbed the problem.

FunnyUser
Casual Adventurer
Message 27 of 40 (2,726 Views)

This appears to have worked! I haven't had an opportunity to try to connect with anyone, but at least Skype didn't crash and I am online!

For what it is worth, when I created the new shortcut, there was now "skype.exe" after \phone, so I added it along with the legacy login part.

Should I attempt to upgrade now---or just leave well enough alone?

Thank you!

eric8030
Casual Adventurer
Message 28 of 40 (2,710 Views)

i have tried but the problem still exists..

VP11
Novel Tourist
Message 29 of 40 (2,701 Views)

eric8030 wrote:

This appears to have worked! I haven't had an opportunity to try to connect with anyone, but at least Skype didn't crash and I am online!

For what it is worth, when I created the new shortcut, there was now "skype.exe" after \phone, so I added it along with the legacy login part.

Should I attempt to upgrade now---or just leave well enough alone?

Thank you!

I must say that this was actually a surprising result. I was not expecting that the “/legacylogin” method would work. What the new shortcut with the “/legacylogin” switch is doing is that it forces Skype to use the old login window which does not require Internet Explorer and JavaScript. The new login screen (since version 5.5) is based on Internet Explorer and JavaScript.

What usually is happening when IE installed on users computer cannot execute JavaScript is that the login screen appears blank (since version 5.7) or that after login you get redirected to the C:\ProgramData\Skype\Apps\login\ folder (versions 5.5 and 5.6).

What version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer? Can you do this test in order to see if your IE can execute JavaScript?

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

Also, is the “Add a contact” function working for you?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 30 of 40 (2,690 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling