problems with skype saving microphone settings

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

problems with skype saving microphone settings

When I start skype whoever I am calling cannot hear me but I can hear them, and have to go to microphone settings which gives me three options, which are:-

line in (high definition audio device)

microphone (high definition audio device)

microphone (high definition audio device) (2)

of which only the last one actually works, which I save.

However the next time I come to use skype the microphone settings have reverted back to the original settings, how do I get the microphone settings to be saved.

hebburn04
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (1,189 Views)

Re: problems with skype saving microphone settings

In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings -> Show advanced options. Make sure that your working microphone is on the top of the device list. If the “Remove” button is activated for the other (not working) devices, then remove this device from the list. Save,

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7399
Message 2 of 6 (1,183 Views)

That did not work, the only one it would let me delete was the option that worked.

hebburn04
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 6 (1,177 Views)

Try to reset Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7399
Message 4 of 6 (1,174 Views)

HI,

I have exactly the same problem.

When I follow your instructions and reset Skype from scratch, there are two options in the Microphone box.

I select the one that works and for this session everything is fine.

As soon as I quit Skype then the Microphone always defaults to first one in the list (ie the one without brackets).

I have also tried to delete this from the call/audio settings page both basic and advanced.

Any other ideas?

val_james
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 6 (1,117 Views)

Hi!

I've got the same problem. Just solved by system control panel/sound settings/ recording, set desired device as system default. Seems skype currently uses system default device.

ajsergeev
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 6 (1,051 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling