no video call button showing

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

no video call button showing

[ Edited ]

After I add a contact for video calling, I do not see the call video icon, only the call phone icon is there.  Didn't see an option to add video call when adding the contact.  The contact has Skype. Help please?

bonnie4943
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 1 of 29 (34,256 Views)

Re: no video call button showing

just some pointers (1) make sure that your webcam is connected/active/turned on (2) make sure that the contact you want to video call is "online".

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 254
Message 2 of 29 (34,244 Views)

Re: no video call button showing reply

I have tested my cam and I see myself, and sound works.   The contact I added has a webcam and is on skype.  The video button isn't even on the contact page.  Only the "call phone" button shows.

bonnie4943
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 29 (34,217 Views)

I have to same problem. I have tested my camera using SKYPE camera test but even when contacts are online with a valid camera I don get a 'video call' button on any contact. I don't know how to get through to SKYPE. Does anyone? They seem not to read these items.
Zigg
Zigg
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 29 (34,166 Views)

This is a user-to-user forum.  Skype employees do lurk here but mostly it's other users reading and responding to posts.

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

If what you see isn't version 5.8.0.158, udpate via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If the problem persists with that latest version installed, try resetting your Skype configuaration files with this procedure to see if it helps:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1889
Message 5 of 29 (34,162 Views)

The button isn't there at all, except on two of my contacts, whom invited me to Skype. The video button is grayed out if they aren't online and the button shows.
bonnie4943
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 29 (34,139 Views)

[ Edited ]

bonnie4943 wrote:
The button isn't there at all, except on two of my contacts, whom invited me to Skype. The video button is grayed out if they aren't online and the button shows.

in the recent versions of Skype, the Video Call button will only be clickable (not greyed out) if the contact is currently online.

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 254
Message 7 of 29 (34,133 Views)

[ Edited ]

bonnie4943 wrote:

If you have added your contacts using their phone number, then these contacts can only be reached on their phone and in this case the video button will be unavailable. The same is the case with Outlook contacts. They can only be contacted on their phone.

Look carefully on the contacts status icon. If the icon contains a white phone symbol, then this means that you can only call to their phones.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7296
Message 8 of 29 (34,122 Views)

My webcam is working and contact was invited, also is online

bonnie4943
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 29 (34,103 Views)

if you scroll down to the bottom of the support page, it says "ask the experts", click on it, then at the top click on help for video, and click on video on  windows or whatever you have.  Think someone from skype will help from there.  I haven't found a solution yet...

bonnie4943
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 29 (34,100 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling