At the moment the quickest method to fix this is to install the beta version from here: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta
The Main Problem is the progressive ads, you can wait till they remove it or install over using beta 5.7
my skype won't let me call out or receive calls, it shuts me down
Uninstall the current version of Skype, then reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.
Download Skype 5.7 Beta for Windows:
If not resolve this issue, then
Please do a Skype reset:
1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.
Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled
2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"
3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Delete folder "Skype".
4. Re-run Skype
1. There is no need to uninstall first. It's wasted time and a wasted step that is NOT required.
2. It is important to inform people that if they delete their Skype folder, that they will be deleting ALL their Skype history:
You do not need to uninstall, or delete anything, if you have this issue, what you have, simply install over, what you have, with this:
At the moment the quickest method to fix this is to install the beta version from here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta