is skype not free anymore

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

is skype not free anymore

skype used to be free....now I am getting a message that I must purchase skype minutes.  any help is appreciated.

janellealexieff
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 64 (72,017 Views)

Re: is skype not free anymore

janellealexieff wrote:

skype used to be free....now I am getting a message that I must purchase skype minutes.  any help is appreciated.

Skype is still free, if you are using it as it has always been used for free communications - from one computer to another computer, both logged into Skype. That hasn't changed.  Skype has expanded what it can be used for, and these other services have costs associated with them.

If you are trying to call telephones from Skype, receive calls from telephones with your Skype account, send SMS messages, or have a group video call (you with more than one other Skype user), then you would have to pay.  Purchasing Skype Credit is one way to do.  You would have to pay for an Online Number, if you want to receive calls from telephones on your Skype account.  To make calls to telephones, you could use Skype Credit or purchase a subscription that covers calling to the telephones in the country or territory you are trying to reach.  Other subscriptions cover the ability to have a group video call. 

Click on the links below "Features" near the bottom of this page for more information on what Skype currently offers.  For costs, look at the links below "Prices".

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 660
Message 2 of 64 (71,984 Views)

Hi wd9ewk, thanks for re-assuring us that Skype is still free, however I for one still don't know how to open the free skype vidio link page anymore. Where is it gone. I'm also still getting requests for credit purchasing????

stevecarey72
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 64 (70,159 Views)

stevecarey72 wrote:

Hi wd9ewk, thanks for re-assuring us that Skype is still free, however I for one still don't know how to open the free skype vidio link page anymore. Where is it gone. I'm also still getting requests for credit purchasing????

What is the version of Skype program installed on your computer? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

Are you trying to make a call to another user on Skype? If this user is Online on Skype, then the status icon next to his/her name must be solid green with a white checkmark inside.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7066
Message 4 of 64 (70,154 Views)

There is no link allowing the connection to Skype.  I only want to use the computer to computer FREE account.  The website keeps sending me to how to sign up and pay!

Please fix this error, if Skype is indeed still a free service.

Thanks!

Wendy

wendy1pooh2003
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 5 of 64 (67,417 Views)

Please install Skype client and join it.
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6513
Message 6 of 64 (67,413 Views)

Thanks! It would be nice to add that link on the website :happy:
wendy1pooh2003
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 7 of 64 (67,409 Views)

Skype is just irritating now, I even used to use it to make overseas calls but no more. I'm going to use facebook video chat from now on
kafrin_007
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 64 (63,926 Views)

Nothing is free on Skye, as of today, Sept 3, 2013. Even computer to computer communication  requires the purchase of a Skype telephone number. No such thing as a free lunch, I guess, just wish they would be honest and drop "free" from their advertising.

martind43
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 9 of 64 (45,336 Views)

martind43 wrote:

Nothing is free on Skye, as of today, Sept 3, 2013. Even computer to computer communication  requires the purchase of a Skype telephone number. No such thing as a free lunch, I guess, just wish they would be honest and drop "free" from their advertising.

Skype to Skype communication is free so I'm curious how you are coming to this conclusion? Anytime phone numbers are involved fees have to be paid as that isn't free.  You don't need a Skype Online number at all to use Skype.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1487
Message 10 of 64 (45,325 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling