i cannot see caller but the caller can see me. wha...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

i cannot see caller but the caller can see me. what can be done about this video problem? thanks!

i cannot see caller but the caller can see me. what can be done about this video problem? thanks!

danitrini
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 29 (13,782 Views)

Re: i cannot see caller but the caller can see me. what can be done about this video problem? thanks

What you can do first of all is provide more information to help in troubleshooting.  For starters:

Is the problem only with one contact or more than one?

What version of Windows are you running?

What type webcam?

What version of Skype?  Click on Help > About Skype for the version number.

If you click on Tools > Options > Video settings, do you see your own video there?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 2 of 29 (13,770 Views)

Re: i cannot see caller but the caller can see me. what can be done about this video problem? thanks

I had a similar problem yesterday on the first time connection with a contact - they called me, I could see and hear them, they could only hear me - I could see my picture in the Tools/Options/Video Settings window, so I believe my webcam was working correctly.  We both have logitech webcams, I have high speed Internet connection, they have DSL connection through the phone line (att.net).  I have Skype 5.5, they just downloaded Skype within the last month, we both have Windows XP. I have been using Skype for over a year and have not had this problem with other contacts.  Any thoughts as to how to fix this?

redruss
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 29 (13,759 Views)

So you're only having the problem with that one contact?  How about them?  Are they having the problem with more than one contact or just with you?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 29 (13,726 Views)

Not sure - I think this was the first time they used Skype, so I don't know if they have tried contacting others and had problems with them too.  They don't use the computer much, I'll have to wait until I talk with them to find out.  Thanks for your help!

redruss
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 29 (13,720 Views)

Ok.  What I was getting at is that if the problem is at their end, it will work best for troubleshooting if they come to the forum directly.  They should start a new thread/subject with specifics about the issue and their setup.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 29 (13,718 Views)

i too am having a problem viewing the video of the person im calling i have windows 7 on my laptop and vista on my desktop both are running skype version 5.5 when i try to call my wife on my laptop she can see my video fine and all i can see is 3 little boxes of video at the top of the screen with a brand new cam on my desktop and a built in cam on laptop

russell11
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 29 (13,704 Views)

Hi again and thanks for the question.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have a Gateway computer running  Intel Core i3 CPU, the webcam is built in so I have nothing else connected to the computer0.

I have the latest version of skype. I uninstalled skype - 5.5 - and reinstalled this weekend to make sure I had the latest version. I bought the Skype feature that allows for multiple video calling. Ironically all the folks that I called can see each other because of i ungraded my subscription, but I can't see them!

I tried logging in with my username but on my husbands computer and that worked fine. So it seems that  it's some setting on my computer. But I looked at all the obvious places for video settings and can't seem to find a problem. I can see myself etc. They can see me. But I can't see more than i person at a time even though everyone else can, as an mentioned I am the one initiating the call.

hope this helps? thanks in advance for any advice!

danitrini
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 29 (13,677 Views)

Do I understand correctly that the problem only happens on a group call? One-to-one calls work ok?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 29 (13,671 Views)

yes, that's correct. I made a call just last night and the one-to-one video works fine...

danitrini
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 29 (13,654 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling