how to turn off the skype update notifications?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to turn off the skype update notifications?

Anybody knows hot to stop the annoying skype update notifications?

There is no way I will do any upgrades, since skype has burned me in the past, so it would be nice to find out how to stop those...

Thanks 

ertyui
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 13 (11,971 Views)

Re: how to turn off the skype update notifications?

*lights cigarette*

Try disabling the Update service.

Click Start >> Run >> Type services.msc /s

Right click on the Skype Updater and click on Properties and in the Startup type box select Disabled. Click Apply and OK.

Restart your PC.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6462
Message 2 of 13 (11,957 Views)

Thank you! It really helped me.

hareeshr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 13 (11,556 Views)

You are very welcome and thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 13 (11,551 Views)

i have done just that (disabled the skype updater service) and it has had no effect on my skype update notifications. they still come. of course, they cannot run automatically to update without my aggreeing and, but disabling the service has no connection to the notifications. apparently skype provides no way to disable or turn them off.
beau909
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 13 (11,203 Views)

beau909,

you can use a personal firewall software to block skype update server

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-crashes-after-login/m-p/1114890/highlight/true#M84454

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 13 (11,201 Views)

My Updater appears as Disabled now, but after restarting my computer the update popup still appeared!

gawain58
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 13 (9,042 Views)

.....oooo its very, very helps me ... thanks a millian..,.

aicis
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 13 (8,590 Views)

I have the same. All is disabled, but everytime the pc starts, or at sign in, I get the window to "upgrade, it only takes a minute."

I am tired of it and I don't need it.

Anyone get this solved?

scarybarry
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (4,259 Views)

The Updater service does checks (and automatic updates) in the background.  Disabling automatic updates in Tools -> Options stops this service, but does not disable it.  You can disable the service via Start -> Run -> services.msc and finding the Skype Updater service.

You may also notice that everytime you start Skype there still remains a pop-up dialog box prompting you to install an update.  This is because Skype had already downloaded a new version in the background and was waiting for you to install.  This happened before you disabled the automatic updates and disabled the service.

To resolve go to Start -> Run -> c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp and look for SkypeSetup.exe.  Delete this file.  Exit Skype and re-launch it to verify this fixed the upgrade notifications.

I am still using Skype 6.9 due to the recent addition of ads.  This process helps make sure I don't get upgraded unintentionally.

nmp0906
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 13 (4,098 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling