how do I listen to a voicemail someone has sent me...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

how do I listen to a voicemail someone has sent me?

Good afternoon. I received notification yesterday that a call I'd missed has gone to voicemail. I have been looking and looking to see where this voicemail might be, so I can listen to it. I found I had not yet enabled voicemail on my end. Does this mean the message my friend sent is lost? Or can I still find it somewhere?

Sorry, the documentation doesn't really explain how to use voicemail, it just tells me how great it is as a service, and always refers me back to the same introduction page inviting me to set it up.

Is there a help section that shows me in pictures what I should be looking for? I don't see any "Play" button or link, for example, when I have signed in to Skype.

Thanks!

Saber
Experienced Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Please check this link. It says two ways to listen to Voicemail:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10473/Setting-up-voicemail-Windows

And this link for more explanation of possible issues:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA639/I-have-a-problem-with-my-voicemail

View solution in original post
RussellCollier
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 8 (25,493 Views)

Re: how do I listen to a voicemail someone has sent me?

In Skype go to View -> Voice mail messages.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6092
Message 2 of 8 (25,327 Views)

Okay... I did try that right at the start. I see several greyed out attempts at voicemail I made to call my friend, but not my friend's message. Now I am sure I am missing something, because if it is that simple, and I still don't see my friend's message, and even though Skype notified me I had voicemail waiting, then there is still something wrong.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate you made the effort, even though it didn't really solve my problem.

RussellCollier
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (25,322 Views)

All your voicemails should be saved in the AppData\Skype\your skype name\voicemail folder. You should see there some files with long names and extension .dat. They are not readable, but by the date of the files you should be able to see if there is one corresponding to the date when you have received the voice mail message.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6092
Message 4 of 8 (25,320 Views)

Please check this link. It says two ways to listen to Voicemail:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10473/Setting-up-voicemail-Windows

And this link for more explanation of possible issues:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA639/I-have-a-problem-with-my-voicemail

Saber
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 46
Message 5 of 8 (25,313 Views)

Okay, between the two of you, I think I have figured it out. I got the original notification while I was on my laptop, away from home office. The file does not seem to exist on home PC, so it is probably on the laptop. The much more detailed descriptions of where to look for the file and how voicemail is configured were what I was looking for. My thanks to you both.
RussellCollier
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 8 (25,302 Views)

I am unable to find ANY of the windows available either on my MAC to listen to voice messages.  I am receiving notices of messages but when I log in there are no windows listed that allow me to listen to them.  Is it me or is this program really badly laid out?

Please help.  Thanks!

brandaide
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (12,790 Views)

I had the same problem, I got a voicemail from an unknown number (only a few friends have my Skype number, so it makes you wonder who is selling my information) and I couldn't find how to listen to the message. There was no option to under the view window, or anything. Perhaps Skype isn't set up for Mac computers with Safari browsers, who knows? You'd think that a huge service like Skype would've thought of a way to add a voicemail button along the left hand side, eh? 

What finally solved it was when I called back to the unknown number, after that a voicemail strip appeared in our calling history, and I could listen to the message. There was no strip like that before I tried calling the number back, though. I imagine Skype is run by a bunch of awkward enginerds who don't see the need of easily accessible and understandable solutions, as they can probably just recode their computers to play incoming calls when they log on. What an idea!

BG35
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 8 (11,878 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling