error 1638

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

error 1638

Hello, I unstalled skype and deleted everything skype related a few weeks ago. Today I tried to install skype again but I got error 1638. I'd be very grateful if any could help me.

Display:

Installing Skype failed: code 1638

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To continue or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Program in Control Panel.

Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Uninstall skype with Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter

Download and Run the Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter >> Click Accept

uninstallfixit8.PNG

Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommeneded)

uninstallfixit.PNG

Select Option Uninstalling

uninstallfixit1.PNG

Select Skype >> Next

uninstallfixit2.PNG

Click Yes, try Uninstall

uninstallfixit3.PNG

uninstallfixit4.PNG

You’ll see Fixed (Green Tick) >> Next

uninstallfixit5.PNG

Yes the problem has been fixed >> Next

uninstallfixit6.PNG

Click Close.

uninstallfixit7.PNG

Now try installing latest Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

View solution in original post
ceiecma
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 9 (17,483 Views)

Re: error 1638

Uninstall skype with Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter

Download and Run the Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter >> Click Accept

uninstallfixit8.PNG

Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommeneded)

uninstallfixit.PNG

Select Option Uninstalling

uninstallfixit1.PNG

Select Skype >> Next

uninstallfixit2.PNG

Click Yes, try Uninstall

uninstallfixit3.PNG

uninstallfixit4.PNG

You’ll see Fixed (Green Tick) >> Next

uninstallfixit5.PNG

Yes the problem has been fixed >> Next

uninstallfixit6.PNG

Click Close.

uninstallfixit7.PNG

Now try installing latest Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6086
Message 2 of 9 (17,476 Views)

I am with the same error 1638 after unistlling skype, even using regedit to delete al 'skype' entries.

Still have error 1638

Then there was a 'no name' program, which I assumed to be skype without a name.

but 'cannot uninstall a program, problem NOT fixed'; trying to send the problem to microsoft:

Thank you for your interest in the Fix it Center Beta. This beta has been discontinued and will no longer be offered. You can continue to access automated support solutions fromhttp://support.microsoft.com .

now that wonder program cannot find skype and is asking to enter a register number, which of course I don;t have. 

So, there IS something in my machine that says Skype is busy, but nothing can find what escept the Skype installing program...

What's next?

DanielBossut
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 9 (16,086 Views)

You can try this:

Download, but don’t run this installer for the latest 6.9.0.106 version.

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.9.0.106.msi

Using the procedure described here,

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/How-to-update-Skype-without-using-any-Skype-installer/m-p/7073...

extract the Skype.exe file from the SkypeSetup_6.9.0.106.msi file and replace your currently installed Skype.exe with this new Skype.exe file. You will be now running the Skype 6.9.0.106 version.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6360
Message 4 of 9 (16,080 Views)

thanks alot it helped me. thanks again

sainuddin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 9 (12,191 Views)

yes me to.i find it`s hiding in the desktop/really big pain.

eyeme45
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (11,473 Views)

I have Win 7 64 bit ultimate, my Skype crashed and so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall  only to get error 1638. A little nonplussed, I deleted every file on the computer which included the word Skype, then I performed a registry edit and removed all registry entries which again, included the word Skype, my system is completely clean, I removed skype also from apps data and was able to confirm that the machine now includes no occurrences of the word skype. Having restarted the machine about 15 times, I then tried to reinstall skype only to get the 1638 error again. I then ran the Windows fix it outlined above and it could not locate Skype. I have disabled my Virus checker and removed all operating browsers by restarting in safe mode. I still get the 1638 error. Further, I tried to reinstall skype in safe mode without a functional line connection and got the same response, so it is a windows kink. This is driving me nuts has anybody got any suggestions as to where this file remnant may be hiding and what it might be called ?

Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 9 (6,501 Views)

It's likely that there is still a Skype msi-installer file residing in C:\Windows\Installer\ folder. These installer files are not shown with the name of the application, but with a combination of letters and numbers. Just as an example, 64fba7.msi is the installer file for Skype 6.11 version. Honestly speaking, I don't know if the presence of this file will trigger the 1638 error message.

In any case, if you want to install Skype without using any installer, you can try this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Impossible-to-install-v6-13-0-104-Error-1603/m-...

Be aware that if you want to install the currently latest 6.16.0.105 version, then you should use this msi-installer link in order to extract the Skype.exe and Login.cab files:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.16.0.105.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6360
Message 8 of 9 (6,394 Views)

THANK YOU, this has helped me so much, i spent half my day trying to figure it out

Mozartnova
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (5,914 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling