delay in receiving chat messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

delay in receiving chat messages

Hi,

I received chat messages an hour or more after they were sent. Any idea why and how to solve this? I run the latest version of Skype (5.3.0.120) on Windows XP SP3. Note that I have the same problem on my other devices connected to Skype (iPhone 4 and iPad 2). Could that be because I'm connected to several devices at the same time?

Thanks

tonydoss
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 60 (49,584 Views)

Re: delay in receiving chat messages

[ Edited ]

Skype is P2P based so it depends on someone being around/available when you are as well, to deliver any pending messages.

Without going into details, when this is a 1 to 1 chat, it requires both parties to be online at the same time, when it is a multi-chat, certain parties in that chat are responsible to deliver messages to other parties in that chat, if those certain parties are not online when you are in that mutli-chat, even muti-chat chat messages can/will be delayed until they are online as well.

Note: There are no public methods to determine who those certain parties are in a multi-chat.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 2 of 60 (49,578 Views)

Either the person answering has missed the point or it is the worst copout answer ever. Problem is simple and it is known to Skype. Chat messages are quite often stuck on pending or sending with the receiver clearly online and available. Either fix it or put the WONTFIX tag. Assuming users are idiots however is not the way to go.

Gonantunes
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 23
Message 3 of 60 (49,343 Views)

TheUberOverLord did miss the point...
tonydoss
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 60 (49,336 Views)

[ Edited ]

tonydoss wrote:
TheUberOverLord did miss the point...

Actually, no I did not.

There are many factors involved and they can vary from person to person.

Each Skype name is connected to a "Super Node" which is normally informed of what the current status is for that Skype name by the Skype client programs.

So, in many cases, both parties in question should try this, at the same time, when/if possible:

This is NOT a fix or solution.

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

This forces a status update of all your contacts in your contact list as well as a update of your status without the need to logoff/logon.

Also, when/if possible, one party should try to call the other using a Skype to Skype call as well. If that party still sees the other party offline or has not received messages that the other party has sent yet they are online.

So, there is no "One Size Fits All" solution in these cases, especially when it seems only some contacts seem offline when they are not. Also, it's very important to try and prove that in fact that contact is in fact online, which is where the Skype to Skype call comes into play, for testing.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 60 (49,331 Views)

That was more helpful, thanks.

However these suggestions assume that you know you have a problem... which you only know when you receive a message that the other party indicate she/he sent ages ago!

tonydoss
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 60 (49,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

tonydoss wrote:

That was more helpful, thanks.

However these suggestions assume that you know you have a problem... which you only know when you receive a message that the other party indicate she/he sent ages ago!

Not saying this is always the case, but it does happen often.

Someone says "Geeze, I sent you chat messages a week ago!".

They also say when you tell them when you were online in the past week "Wow, I was online during some of those times too!".

It's very possible that in fact, they were not online during the exact times you were, and because of that in 1 to 1 chats, you would not receive those chat messages until they really were online during the exact time you were.

So, the only way to attempt to determine, is this person really online when they say they are yet you see them offline, are the suggestions I have made. This will do 2 things:

1. Refresh your Online status to the Skype cloud. If they do same, refresh their status to the Skype cloud.

2. If you can't call them or they can't call you, Skype to Skype, this shows there is some real issue going on.

In many cases that issue can be as simple as their status is set to "Invisible" or some status that is in fact not "Online" yet they might not even know or realize it.

Which is another reason to do the change status suggestion in my prior post to help both of you rule that possibility out.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 60 (49,319 Views)

i am having the same issue for the last week or so. its not every time, but i made sure to note the details today.

most of the people in my office use skype to send messages to each other. i am starting to get calls on my land telephone "Why are you not answer my question in skype"

i am always online during work. The last instant was a coworker send a msg to me at 3:59PM. She said it showed I was online, but there was a revolving arrow circle near the text she sent me. Finally at 4:15PM she called on land phone. We resolved her original question and both made note that we were both online in skype.

at 4:24PM her skype message appeared for me, the sent time was noted at 3:59PM

refresh my online status is not a solution. how often should i do it? i dont even know theres a problem until i get a phone call.

mnbvcxzbrian
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 60 (49,012 Views)

Same thing here. We use Skype (for now) in our office. I only have this problem with 1 person. He sits right next to me and every now and then he'll yell over the wall for me to answer his skype. Well, I haven't got a skype from him, so I send one too him. As soon as I send it, his shows up with the 10-minute-ago time stamp and he gets mine immediatley. It only happens with that one person. I don't have any delay from any other contacts.

In other words, skype is messed up and if they want people to kee using it they need to fix this kind of stuff.

MichaelDx
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 9 of 60 (48,998 Views)

forgot to mention, i am using skype 5.5.0.114 and windows xp sp3

about one month ago i was using different computers with this skype account, but in the last few weeks, i only use this computer. sometime i do use a vpn

mnbvcxzbrian
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 60 (48,984 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling