code 1603 a fatal error occured during installatio...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Reply

code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

I've been trying desperately to get Skype to download onto my laptop, it has windows XP 2002 version if it helps for you to know. Towards the end of downloading skype process a message pops up saying "service 'skype updater' (skypeupdate) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" it then gives you an option to 'retry' or cancel'. If you 'retry' the same message just keeps popping up, if you 'cancel' then you receive a message "installing skype failed; code 1603 A fatal error occured during installation". PLEASE HELP ME :sad: thanks.

cakejen
Tourist
Kudos: 3
Posts: 1
Registered: 26-02-2012
Message 1 of 32 (6,706 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

Are you logged in Windows as user with administrative rights?

 

You can also try to install the business version of Skype. This version does not install the new Updater service. However, in this version you will not have the option to connect to Facebook.

 

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/business/download/

 

 

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5771
Posts: 39864
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 2 of 32 (6,568 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

That is ok info , but offering an alternative when its not asked for isnt really helping me. i get that error as well and i am logged in with administrative rights. Question If the the creators of this programme dont want a certain person using there programme they can make it so that they cant download it right. I am asking this because i watched a resent commercial and this guy had offended as a kid, the creator of the programme and because the creator carried a grudge that guy now an adult has a ban and can never use the programme.
Armo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Posts: 1
Registered: 03-05-2012
Message 3 of 32 (6,313 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occurred during installation.

I am having the same problem. Some people are saying try this, but I am not a computer nerd, no offence to anyone! I cannot get the latest version to load. Why cannot Skype support help with this issue. I have tried un-installing the Skype and reloading but then I cannot use the same user name and password. I had to set up a new user name and password that I had from the beginning of Skype.  I wish there could be online support for someone to fix this issue. I am at the end of this

dabrit_on_fi
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 5
Registered: 07-07-2012
Message 4 of 32 (5,624 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

[ Edited ]

Greetings:

 

Skype has included a permissions glitch in the later versions of their program that assigns permissions to the 'Installer' rather than the user. I have used skype for many years and right now am missing being on another radio show, because skype has locked me out of the program. The program refuses to log on. The program refuses to uninstall. The 'Installer' does not have permissions to start, update, modify or uninstall the GD program, which means we spend hours and hours trying to figure out Skype programing glitches that they should have fixed long ago. Assign permissions to the USER and stop the madness. I have yet to find a 'Skype' post on the internet that resolves this matter and do not expect to find one at this point. I am becoming angrier by the minute over this absolute NONSENSE. I go to the ProgramApps/Skype folder and give myself permissions, but the 'Installer' does not have them and applying 'System' or 'Administrator' permissions does no good. I used system restore twice to get Skype to at least launch for recent radio shows, but I refuse to continue working with absolute JUNK; until Skype fixes the bug.

terral03
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Posts: 9
Registered: 31-08-2012
Message 5 of 32 (5,448 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.


terral03 wrote:

Greetings:

 

Skype has included a permissions glitch in the later versions of their program that assigns permissions to the 'Installer' rather than the user. I have used skype for many years and right now am missing being on another radio show, because skype has locked me out of the program. The program refuses to log on. The program refuses to uninstall. The 'Installer' does not have permissions to start, update, modify or uninstall the GD program, which means we spend hours and hours trying to figure out Skype programing glitches that they should have fixed long ago. Assign permissions to the USER and stop the madness. I have yet to find a 'Skype' post on the internet that resolves this matter and do not expect to find one at this point. I am becoming angrier by the minute over this absolute NONSENSE. I go to the ProgramApps/Skype folder and give myself permissions, but the 'Installer' does not have them and applying 'System' or 'Administrator' permissions does no good. I used system restore twice to get Skype to at least launch for recent radio shows, but I refuse to continue working with absolute JUNK; until Skype fixes the bug.


Go to C:\ProgramData\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8} and make a copy of the existing msi file. Paste a copy in the same directory and rename it SkypeSetup_5.10.0.116. Msi.

 

Now, try to install with this link http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.10.0.11 6.msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6181
Posts: 32360
Registered: 27-09-2011
Message 6 of 32 (5,443 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

[ Edited ]

Hi Tami


Tamim wrote:

 

Go to C:\ProgramData\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8} and make a copy of the existing msi file. Paste a copy in the same directory and rename it SkypeSetup_5.10.0.116. Msi.

 

Now, try to install with this link http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.10.0.11 6.msi


I followed your instructions to receive this error message:

 

"A network errror occurred wile attempting to read from the file: C:\Users\Terral\Downloads\Skype.msi"

 

Then I try to install Skype from the file I just downloaded yet again to receive this message:

 

"The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:
C:\ProgramData\Skype\Apps\login\ca.js."

 

Then Skype Installer throws out the error message before closing:

 

"Installing Skype failed; code 1603
A fatal error occurred during installation."

 

After two days of spinning my wheels, we are right back to where we started. :sad:

 

 

 

Terral

 

terral03
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Posts: 9
Registered: 31-08-2012
Message 7 of 32 (5,424 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.


terral03 wrote:

Hi Tami


Tamim wrote:

 

Go to C:\ProgramData\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8} and make a copy of the existing msi file. Paste a copy in the same directory and rename it SkypeSetup_5.10.0.116. Msi.

 

Now, try to install with this link http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.10.0.11 6.msi


I followed your instructions to receive this error message:

 

"A network errror occurred wile attempting to read from the file: C:\Users\Terral\Downloads\Skype.msi"

 

Terral

 


uninstall the current Skype with Revo (delete all reistry entries and folder with revo)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

 

reinstall Skype with this link


http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6181
Posts: 32360
Registered: 27-09-2011
Message 8 of 32 (5,419 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.

Hi Tamim:

 

Please forgive, I really appreciate your efforts, but this 'permissions' issue appears to be throwing everyone for a loop. You wrote: 


uninstall the current Skype with Revo (delete all reistry entries and folder with revo)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

 

reinstall Skype with this link


http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full


I downloaded Revouninstaller and followed the instructions to get this error message:

 

The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:
C:\ProgramData\Skype\Apps\login\ca.js.

 

Again, please forgive, but if the Windows Installer/Uninstaller cannot modify/delete this file, then I am at a loss to understand why you think for one minute that another installer is going to find a way around this protocol. The SKYPE INSTALLER that came with the 5.10 Skype Program appropriated 'permissions' that forbid the modification of the login\ca.js file. That is a Skype issue from the original install of the update that is causing the problems that I have never seen before using Skype for years and years. Administrator does not have or need permissions to modify that file. Terral-PC does not need permissions to modify that ca.js file. The "INSTALLER" itself needs permissions to modify/update that file, which the "INSTALLER" does not have by command of the "INSTALLER" program itself. Some Skype programer hit the wrong key and forces us into a permissions loop that has no external solution IMHO. Or perhaps I am missing something, because I am obviously lost as one can be with a half-deleted Skype program that barely runs and cannot uninstall/install/update/modify itself over permissions to the login folder information that have been assigned to nobody; not even the installer program. :sad:

 

Terral

terral03
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Posts: 9
Registered: 31-08-2012
Message 9 of 32 (5,416 Views)

Re: code 1603 a fatal error occured during installation.


terral03 wrote:

Hi Tamim:

 

Please forgive, I really appreciate your efforts, but this 'permissions' issue appears to be throwing everyone for a loop. You wrote: 


uninstall the current Skype with Revo (delete all reistry entries and folder with revo)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

 

reinstall Skype with this link


http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full


I downloaded Revouninstaller and followed the instructions to get this error message:

 

The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:
C:\ProgramData\Skype\Apps\login\ca.js.

 

Again, please forgive, but if the Windows Installer/Uninstaller cannot modify/delete this file, then I am at a loss to understand why you think for one minute that another installer is going to find a way around this protocol. The SKYPE INSTALLER that came with the 5.10 Skype Program appropriated 'permissions' that forbid the modification of the login\ca.js file. That is a Skype issue from the original install of the update that is causing the problems that I have never seen before using Skype for years and years. Administrator does not have or need permissions to modify that file. Terral-PC does not need permissions to modify that ca.js file. The "INSTALLER" itself needs permissions to modify/update that file, which the "INSTALLER" does not have by command of the "INSTALLER" program itself. Some Skype programer hit the wrong key and forces us into a permissions loop that has no external solution IMHO. Or perhaps I am missing something, because I am obviously lost as one can be with a half-deleted Skype program that barely runs and cannot uninstall/install/update/modify itself over permissions to the login folder information that have been assigned to nobody; not even the installer program. :sad:

 

Terral


there is a bug in the Skype installation process.

 

you can restore your windows

 

or try this portable Skype

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6181
Posts: 32360
Registered: 27-09-2011
Message 10 of 32 (5,412 Views)
Reply

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling