cannot open skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

cannot open skype

After upgrading to the latest version of skype, I cannot open skype any more  I get a tourquoise screen that says skype with my username and password in **** and a white arrow that goes around in endless circles. I don't know what to do. I use norton 360 and checked the firewall settings and skype is allowed. should I uninstall skype and install it again? Or perhaps just give up on skype? I feel annoyed that so many times when you are told to upgrade a software program, like skype, you are just asking for trouble and seemingly endless problems. I saw some complaint from someone on your staff that some problem has been addressed hundres of times on some list. Who cares? I've never seen the list and don't keep up with it. I just want my old skype back! db

Accepted Solution

by Tamim

try deleting Skype rules in Norton then run Skype. Norton will create the rules for Skype automatically. If not, re-create the Skype rule manually.

View solution in original post
david.d.burns2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 18 (3,333 Views)

Re: cannot open skype

try deleting Skype rules in Norton then run Skype. Norton will create the rules for Skype automatically. If not, re-create the Skype rule manually.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8148
Message 2 of 18 (3,323 Views)

I tried deleting the skype rules in norton, but skype still will not open. I get the torquoise screen with the white circle going round and round, and sign in is grayed out. db

david.d.burns2
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (3,315 Views)

Which version of Internet Explorer installed on your PC?

Try Below:

Reset IE.

In IE, Click Internet Options >> Advanced >> Restore Advanced Settings >> Reset.

Mark Delete personal settings >> OK >> restart.

Check Proxy settings

In Internet Explorer, Go to, Tools >> Internet Options... >> Connections>> Lan settings , Use a proxy server... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check. Make sure automatically detect settings is enabled. (Marked)

Please Do a Skype Reset.

Exit Skype.

Go to, C:\ProgramData\Skype\Apps folder

Rename the folder login to login1.

Then go to, C:\Users\tamim\AppData\Roaming\

Rename the folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

Run Skype.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 18 (3,313 Views)

After I rebooted the computer, then skype opened. Thanks very much for the help. db

david.d.burns2
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (3,312 Views)

I too am having the same problem..turquoise screen, grayed out login info, but I use Firefox.  Any suggestions for me?

Lovesshoes
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 18 (3,076 Views)

same problem for me, using chrome, dont have IE at all. 

By the way, skype sucks tottally, all the time problems with it. Useless, bring msn back.

Tossers
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 18 (2,368 Views)

Tossers,

Please install latest IE. MSN login reuires it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 18 (2,314 Views)

I just installed Skype 6.7 as first time user, I try to open by double click.  Nothing happens!

I have Windows 7,  I did a Trouble Shooting on it....it tells me to use Windows Xp compatiblity.  Don't have that on this computer.

Any ideas that me help a Newbie.

LynnDeMit
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 18 (1,057 Views)

LynnDeMit wrote:

I just installed Skype 6.7 as first time user, I try to open by double click.  Nothing happens!

I have Windows 7,  I did a Trouble Shooting on it....it tells me to use Windows Xp compatiblity.  Don't have that on this computer.

Any ideas that me help a Newbie.

Is your Windows  32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7305
Message 10 of 18 (1,051 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling