cannot access skype through imo anymore?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: cannot access skype through imo anymore?

@mfouesneau

"pure silence from skype to any user request"

What can skype say if their service works for IM+ and does not work for imo? What would you say being skype?

"If there is a discussion, IMO cannot officially say what's going on"

Why do you think imo would not admit that they can't/won't pay for services they get from skype having IM+ nearby working fine? Whoes problem would it be?

"Whatever the truth is, Skype does play a strange game"

Whatever game it is, it is currently played much worse by imo - they are service providers for us, not skype. It is their sole  responsibility to do whatever necessary to fix the problem updating the users and if they can't fix it - provide transperent reasons why to the users.

DmytroPuzhay
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 51 of 80 (621 Views)

[ Edited ]
mfouesneau said:
pure silence from skype to any user request
DmytroPuzhay said:
What can skype say if their service works for IM+ and does not work for imo? What would you say being skype?

How about -- We're sorry we were blocking IMO.IM and have subsequently lifted the block. While we would prefer if people use Skype or Outlook.com to access our service, we understand that some of our users are in a high-security corporate environment where software installation and use of smartphones is not permitted, and so imo.im and IM+ can fill that need in offering web access to our service. In the future, we may consider offering our own service with the same functionality.

mfouesneau said:
If there is a discussion, IMO cannot officially say what's going on
DmytroPuzhay said:
Why do you think imo would not admit that they can't/won't pay for services they get from skype having IM+ nearby working fine? Whoes problem would it be?

Whoa ok this is the first time I have heard the mention of payment. Have you spoken to someone at IM+ or another source who indicated to you that they maintain their access to Skype due to some kind of payment scheme? If not, I think you should maybe not be inventing facts.

mfouesneau said:
Whatever the truth is, Skype does play a strange game
DmytroPuzhay said:
Whatever game it is, it is currently played much worse by imo - they are service providers for us, not skype. It is their sole  responsibility to do whatever necessary to fix the problem updating the users and if they can't fix it - provide transperent reasons why to the users.

Yes, imo.im should get right on removing the IP block on Skype's servers that is preventing them from connecting. How foolish of imo.im to not hack into Skype's firewall and remove that block!

Feldon
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 52 of 80 (608 Views)

Feldon wrote:
Whoa ok this is the first time I have heard the mention of payment. Have you spoken to someone at IM+ or another source who indicated to you that they maintain their access to Skype due to some kind of payment scheme? If not, I think you should maybe not be inventing facts.
The issue of payment is not a fact, or given as fact, but was posited several weeks ago as a possible reason for the apparent impass between skype and imo.  If they aren't allowed access and are working to regain access, then money would be a natural possibility.  IM+ can access and imo can't.  Usually in a situation like this in corporate powerplays, either money or power is the motive.
maestroteague
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 53 of 80 (581 Views)

I will clarify my thoughts then. There was a context to those citations, you don't agree it's fine it makes discusions but keep the context in mind before commenting.

First again I do no know what's going on and while neither skype or imo.im say something, I consider the ball in Skype hands after the official message from imo.im. whether is message true, Skype does not even answer to direct user questions. Yes I'd be happy to read an official announcement from Skype even the one suggested. That's been long enough, if they don't know anything that is surprising.

Imo.im is a service, agreed and so is Skype. But imo.im needs an access to provide Skype protocols. Skype is funded and some services are provided if you pay for it. (Not taking about phone calls here) And because I pay as many others I have the right to ask the support to give me answers. So far I did not read about anyone getting feedback.

My money concerns comes from the fact that fring had this problem couple of years ago for offering skype calls and video. I am not saying this is the real rreason. IM+ may or may not pay a exploitation fee. If you know them tell us. Do they offer more than texting?

Note I am still wondering if im+ was that good why people bother defending imo.im?

Posted from Google Nexus 4
mfouesneau
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 54 of 80 (577 Views)

im+ is blocked by some corporate firewalls. Also, as mentioned, its group chat functionality is not working.

2 services is always better than one.

Feldon
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 55 of 80 (568 Views)

if skype is all you use imo for is there any reason you don't just use skype for android on your android device? i actually really like it on my galaxy s3.

maestroteague wrote:

I, too, am agitated with this development.  This started with an upgrade in imo about a week ago, I think.  From a quick google search, skype is not the only service having troubles after the last imo update.  I think it is on the end of imo, not skype, that is causing the problem.  I have emailed the feedback on imo's website - we will see if they respond.  Really sad.  Skype is the only chat service I was using on imo.  Anybody have other recommendations for Android handsets?

mojo_foley
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 56 of 80 (380 Views)

mojo_foley wrote:

if skype is all you use imo for is there any reason you don't just use skype for android on your android device? i actually really like it on my galaxy s3.

While I haven't tried the native client in a while, all previous times that I have, it has caused significant battery drain.  I'm talking hours less over the course of the day with the only difference being that skype was active.  If this has changed with recent versions, I would be glad to try again.
maestroteague
Routine Adventurer
Message 57 of 80 (326 Views)

Nope, still a decent battery drain (using HTC Inspire 4G, at least), and the stupid Skype *pop* sound is practically impossible to grab your attention even in a quiet environment like a bedroom or a library, AND they won't let you choose a different notification sound that actually helps.

I don't know about y'all, but I use imo on AndroidOS because of;
• the choice of notification sounds (primarily) and lights,
• the ability to upload photos and videos to their temporary (24hr) cloud server to which the other parties can view and/or save via the provided link,
• the simplicity of the app's design, which DOES in fact have decreased battery drain, and finally
• the ability to connect to multiple chat clients. I'm sure this isn't a big draw for many, but not all my contacts use Skype, and I need to be flexible and cater to them; I can't expect them to cater to me.

Now if Microsoft wants to buy up YIM and AIM and Facebook Messenger and integrate them all into Skype, then by all means I'll happy leave imo in the past. But im convinced Microsoft /only/ did this to make yet-another move against Google and their Chromebook; it's like a battlefield in the tech community right now...

whyme777x
Casual Adventurer
Message 58 of 80 (303 Views)

There are alternatives for Android and iOS. I don't count Windoof Phone, since it's a M$ creation. But how about older versions of BlackBerry OS? And how about Symbian? How about Java? M$ is trying to deny any possible alternative for such devices. Why? To buy a **bleep** Windows Phone? Blah... 

flash_kz
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 29
Message 59 of 80 (289 Views)

Feldon wrote:
DmytroPuzhay said:
1) What can skype say if their service works for IM+ and does not work for imo? What would you say being skype?

How about -- We're sorry we were blocking IMO.IM and have subsequently lifted the block. While we would prefer if people use Skype or Outlook.com to access our service, we understand that some of our users are in a high-security corporate environment where software installation and use of smartphones is not permitted, and so imo.im and IM+ can fill that need in offering web access to our service. In the future, we may consider offering our own service with the same functionality.

DmytroPuzhay said:
2) Why do you think imo would not admit that they can't/won't pay for services they get from skype having IM+ nearby working fine? Whoes problem would it be?

DmytroPuzhay said:
3) Whatever game it is, it is currently played much worse by imo - they are service providers for us, not skype. It is their sole  responsibility to do whatever necessary to fix the problem updating the users and if they can't fix it - provide transperent reasons why to the users.

Yes, imo.im should get right on removing the IP block on Skype's servers that is preventing them from connecting. How foolish of imo.im to not hack into Skype's firewall and remove that block!

1) "so imo.im and IM+ can fill that need in offering web access to our service"

Can't you read what i wrote? IM+ has no problems accessing Skype, so your answer is irrelevant.

2) "Whoa ok this is the first time I have heard the mention of payment"

Can't you read that I was replying to mfouesneau? Can't you read that it was mfouesneau who mentioned payment as possible cause? Can't you figure out that it would be better to ask him, not me?

3) "Yes, imo.im should get right on removing the IP block on Skype's servers that is preventing them from connecting"

What a hell are you talking about? Who told you that imo.im got IP blocked on Skype's servers? Can't you still not read what I wrote and because of that continue to produce irrelevant answers? Once again, and please read it before dumping me with another irrelevant answer - imo is service provider for us, not skype. It is imo's sole  responsibility to do whatever necessary to fix the problem, transparently update their users on the progress and if they can't do anything - provide transparent reasons why!
DmytroPuzhay
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 60 of 80 (242 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling