blank screen on Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

blank screen on Skype

Hi,

I downloaded and installed Skype. I opened up Skype from the desktop icon and it gives me 3 drop downs Skype, Tools and Help, but the rest of the interface is completely blank...? I don't see anywhere to initiate a call, etc.

Thoughts?

ras468
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 19 (12,267 Views)

Re: blank screen on Skype

My guess is that what you are seeing is the new login window, which is not yet properly re-drawn. Does anything happen when you click on e.g. on the Tools item?

What version of Windows are you on and what version of Internet Explorer do you have installed.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6967
Message 2 of 19 (12,105 Views)

I'm using XP, and FireFox... does skype on work on IE? When I want to initiate Skype, do I click on the icon I created on the desktop to load the application, and if so, is a browser interface suppose to open or is the small window that opens with the 3 drop downs?
Thanks for your help
ras468
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 19 (12,096 Views)

I just installed it on another computer without a hitch. hmm, there must be some register that's corrupted on my other machine
ras468
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 19 (12,093 Views)

Look here for a longer explanation:

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-should-have-an-option-to-disable-Skype-Home-screen-pop-up/m-p/136850#M14801

The shorter version is that without Internet Explorer working properly. Skype will not work.

Your problem might, however, also be caused by something different. Is your other PC also XP and do you have SP3 and all windows updates installed on both computers?

Just for testing. Open Windows Run and in the textbox enter:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Press OK. What do you see now? Can you do login?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6967
Message 5 of 19 (12,092 Views)

Hello,

I find myself to be in the same situation as ras468 and cannot figure out how to solve the problem. I am not a computer wiz, which doesn't help.

I had Skype installed on my computer for years without a problem (Windows XP, Firefox). I didn't have the most updated version of Skype, which was fine by me.

My husband, who is new to Skype and even less computer literate that I am, decided to install the newest version of Skype on his computer session (to each our own). Now whenever we try to log on to Skype, whether on his session or on mine, the startup page is blank with only the "Skype" "Tools" and "Help" menus available.

We have tried uninstalling Skype many times, to no avail.

I saw in your answer, ruwin, that it might be an IE issue. Would Skype only function with IE? I used to use IE and don't remember an issue when I switched to Firefox. But again, I had an older version of Skype, which might have been less "sensitive"...

Please help. I have already spent countless hours reading forums and trying techniques to cure the problem and need pointers...

Thanks in advance.

Solenn
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 19 (11,994 Views)

Solenn wrote:

Hello,

I find myself to be in the same situation as ras468 and cannot figure out how to solve the problem. I am not a computer wiz, which doesn't help.

I had Skype installed on my computer for years without a problem (Windows XP, Firefox). I didn't have the most updated version of Skype, which was fine by me.

My husband, who is new to Skype and even less computer literate that I am, decided to install the newest version of Skype on his computer session (to each our own). Now whenever we try to log on to Skype, whether on his session or on mine, the startup page is blank with only the "Skype" "Tools" and "Help" menus available.

We have tried uninstalling Skype many times, to no avail.

I saw in your answer, ruwin, that it might be an IE issue. Would Skype only function with IE? I used to use IE and don't remember an issue when I switched to Firefox. But again, I had an older version of Skype, which might have been less "sensitive"...

Please help. I have already spent countless hours reading forums and trying techniques to cure the problem and need pointers...

Thanks in advance.

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... , what happens?

If you see a message box that contains a connect button, please click on the connect button.

If the page fails to display, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by clicking this link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 7 of 19 (11,989 Views)

Thanks a lot for your reply, TheUberOverLord.

Unfortunately, I saw your post on another forum and had already tried the steps you suggest (and tried them again tonight) but they didn't cure my problem.

Step 1: I skipped to Step 2 as I am not on Win7

Step 2: the Internet Log-In page for Skype displays and I can log in, but the icon at the bottom right corner on my desktop still shows me as "Not Signed In". I don't have access to my contacts and I cannot make a phonecall anywhere

Step 3: downloaded Skype again but still get a blank page when I click on the icon at the bottom right corner on my desktop

I am using Windows XP, my computer is a Dell Dimension DIME521 purchased in 2006.

Windows updates are done automatically, as for the rest I am not really sure...

Thanks for your help.

Solenn
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (11,963 Views)

Solenn wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply, TheUberOverLord.

Unfortunately, I saw your post on another forum and had already tried the steps you suggest (and tried them again tonight) but they didn't cure my problem.

Step 1: I skipped to Step 2 as I am not on Win7

Step 2: the Internet Log-In page for Skype displays and I can log in, but the icon at the bottom right corner on my desktop still shows me as "Not Signed In". I don't have access to my contacts and I cannot make a phonecall anywhere

Step 3: downloaded Skype again but still get a blank page when I click on the icon at the bottom right corner on my desktop

I am using Windows XP, my computer is a Dell Dimension DIME521 purchased in 2006.

Windows updates are done automatically, as for the rest I am not really sure...

Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome.

Please go here and once there, click on the "Fixit" Icon/Button: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

Then please do this:

Reboot.

Then please install over what you have from here, when prompted please click the run or open button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 9 of 19 (11,960 Views)

Thanks a lot for your help. My IT neighbour took a look at our computer and concluded that they were many problems preventing me from having Skype work (and, as it turns out, explain why Media Player, Microsoft Money and our anti-virus would not update automatically), despite taking the steps you described. In the end, we had to re-install Windows, and everything is now running smoothly, including Skype.

Thanks again.

Solenn
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 19 (11,757 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling