Why won't Skype close?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why won't Skype close?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit and whenever I try to close skype, it just minimizes itself on the taskbar.  Neither the close box, file --> close, nor rightclicking the icon on the taskbar to "Close window" works, it only minimizes it.  The only way to close it, not just minimize it, is to do so through task manager.  Is there some setting or other method I could fix so that when I hit close, skype actually closes?

kaelliott125
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 21 (58,513 Views)

Re: Why won't Skype close?

Right click on Skype icon in the system try (notification area) and select Quit.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6332
Message 2 of 21 (58,323 Views)

Hi! in this version I installed, supposely the newest one, there is no Quit option using the right button. Just "close" but this option just minimize it on the tray and not actually close the application.

Is this a problem on this new version?

Thanks. Sonia Hdz.

sahareli
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 21 (58,289 Views)

hi!  please visit the thread below as it might help;

Ways to Quit Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1643
Message 4 of 21 (58,286 Views)

Go to your programs folder open skype>Phone>Right-Click Skype>Troubleshoot Compatibility>Try Recommended Settings. Skype should now fully close! :wink:

MattFord2411
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 21 (58,164 Views)

[ Edited ]

This may be a bit of a necro thread - but for people who are having the same problem, what you want to do is go into preferences > advanced > uncheck "Keep Skype in the taskbar when signed in". Then pressing "X" on the Skype window will minimize the program to the tray; and you'll be able to quit properly by using the menu or right-clicking on the icon.

Hope that helped!

Sakako
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 6 of 21 (56,767 Views)

Old thread but useful...

Small correction:

go to >tools >options >advanced

For me the "Keep Skype in the task bar while I'm signed in" was already unchecked and I still had the problem.  I checked the box, cliced save, and closed out, then I re-opened it and unchecked the box and now it does not minimize to the taskbar anymore :happy:

lanitrenouth
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 21 (56,415 Views)

Go to the Skype button on the commands bar in the Skype program and click on the Privacy button. It should pop up another page, now click on the Advanced Setting button and un-check the box that says "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in." Save the changes and you should be able to close Skype at any time by just clicking on the "X" button or by right clicking and pressing the close option.

Hope it helps! :bigsmile:

Nick124
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 21 (53,555 Views)

What completely smokes me, is why the default option is not do do this. I can only suppose it has more to do with some people trying to change the way users (customers) comsume their product. Unfortunately I am seeing through this plot. The "Keep skype in the taskbar while i'm signed in" option DOES NOT do what I want though, I am looking to use Skype the way it always used to work, in kiosk mode. Signing out is not the same as quiting.

Can we please have the kiosk mode back, the new mode only makes sense in Windows 8.

conradb
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 21 (50,168 Views)

Seems to be going on again with new Skype, so i thought i would add to this. Running windows 7 64bit ultimate. Just go in to properties and un-check Run this program as administrator if it is checked. Worked for me.
Bso
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 21 (48,641 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling