Whatever Skype's newest update is, it doesn't work...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Whatever Skype's newest update is, it doesn't work with Windows XP

Repeated requests to update to new software, which when allowed, locks up and has to be closed with Task Manager.  The program itself locks everything else and has lost functionality.  Great job, folks!  I'm paying for this?  It's unbelievable that a flagship company like Skype can't seem to write decent software.  The lack of compatibility between Skype and the Mozilla browser is legendary.

hal_n
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 10 (2,717 Views)

Re: Whatever Skype's newest update is, it doesn't work with Windows XP

hal_n wrote:

Repeated requests to update to new software, which when allowed, locks up and has to be closed with Task Manager.  The program itself locks everything else and has lost functionality.  Great job, folks!  I'm paying for this?  It's unbelievable that a flagship company like Skype can't seem to write decent software.  The lack of compatibility between Skype and the Mozilla browser is legendary.

I suggest you try again when you've adjusted your attitude

this is community support, not an official Skype Support channel

millions of users would beg to differ with your trash talk

btw, the only Skype software that uses Firefox is the Skype Toolbar, which turns phone numbers on webpages into clickable links, and it is NOT required for Skype to work just fine

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 288
Message 2 of 10 (2,622 Views)

"btw, the only Skype software that uses Firefox is the Skype Toolbar, which turns phone numbers on webpages into clickable links, and it is NOT required for Skype to work just fine"

I have just posted a question related to the mentioned toolbar.  It seems that it is required for skype to work just fine because I have been trying and trying to download Skype and it keeps telling me it can't install the toolbar, but skype still doesn't work.  As if the "login" button isn't live.  How can I get it to work?

staceace
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 10 (2,618 Views)

the toolbar is not required for Skype to work -- installation of the toolbar is optional

you should see an Options button on one of the install screens where it's installation can be disabled
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (2,609 Views)

Thanks, but just tried again and no options bar anywhere during my set up process. 

Very annoying!

staceace
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (2,602 Views)

In some case, the installation of Skype toolbars fails because of missing or not properly registered Windows Script Engine. You can download and install the latest version for Windows XP from here:

microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=8247

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5045
Message 6 of 10 (2,591 Views)

[ Edited ]

staceace wrote:

Thanks, but just tried again and no options bar anywhere during my set up process. 

the toolbars are no longer bundled with the Skype installer, but, assuming that you actually DO have one or more toolbars installed already, I'm beginning to suspect that the current installer has trouble with this

btw, I just ran the 'full' installer (which can be downloaded from here http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full ) on a system for the first time, and I did see an Options button on the very first screen presented (see screenshot), but the only options were to specify where Skype gets installed and two startup options -- the installation completed normally without any attempt to install any toolbars -- I don't think these options are presented on subsequent installs, so that might explain why you are not seeing any Options button now

let me do some further investigation and get back to you on an exact plan of attack, but I'm thinking that the first thing to do is to uninstall the toolbars, assuming that I am right that they were installed previously

Options Button.png

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (2,579 Views)

Dear Neil...............i aggree with hal_n. I "upgraded" and now I can't even log into Skype. WTF!!!

ilhiker
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (722 Views)

[ Edited ]

ilhiker wrote:

Dear Neil...............i aggree with hal_n. I "upgraded" and now I can't even log into Skype. WTF!!!

What exactly happens when you are trying to login?

P.S. Look at the date of the last post. Within the 2 last years a lot has changed in Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5045
Message 9 of 10 (704 Views)

I tried to update it and found out its froze with no option to log in. I just restored my computer to an earlier date and will NOT BE UPDATING SKYPE. The same people who wrote obamacare must of done the update to skype.

tallnavy321
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (235 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling