What is wrong with my skype!?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is wrong with my skype!?

[ Edited ]

Alright so I really need help guys. As of about 2 days ago my skype started lagging extremely badly and I noticed that instead of taking around 0 to 1 CPU power like it normally did it would take 10 to 20CPU. I looked at every answer possible set .htm files to IE as default, deleted my skype registry / appdata and uninstalled skype and installed the latest version (6.11) and it was still lagging. Support told me to download an older version (6.9.0.106) so I did and that stopped the lag for roughly an hour (probably less) and then it started lagging once again. So I looked all over and some people suggested to download skype 6.1.0.129 (which is the version I am currently using) and that worked for a while until I restarted my computer at which point it started taking up 12 cpu while I’m in a skype call which basically makes skype unusable once again. Once I hang up from the call though the CPU process goes back down to 0. I'm not sure if this will help anyone but when I run Process Explorer to see what thread is causing this issue it says the following: "TID: 4728 CPU: 13 Cycles Delta: 3,548,458,458 Start Address: Skype.exe+0x7fb187" I tried stopping that thread to see what happens and it basically makes skype unusable. 

My current computer specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.50GHZ

RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte

Graphics: 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

HD: 1TB Ata WDC (SATA)

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (1,278 Views)

Re: What is wrong with my skype!?

Are you seeing animated ads playing in your Skype Home page?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6072
Message 2 of 15 (1,257 Views)

No I'm not. I'm currently a premium member. Also if you look at the image Skype is taking up more CPU then Payday 2 while running! Payday 2 is a pretty cpu / graphics intensive game and it still isn't hogging as much resources as skype. 

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (1,248 Views)

Support suggested I download 6.1.999.130 I downloaded it and it didn't help at all. Same CPU problem.

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 15 (1,240 Views)

In most of the previous similar cases reverting to the 6.9.0.106 version has solved the issue. Perhaps you should try to set another browser as your default browser instead of Chrome.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-using-high-CPU/m-p/2113699#M203138

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 15 (1,228 Views)

ruwim I have already tried to install that version. It didn't work. Also about setting my default browser I set .htm files to IE which is what people had recommended. That didn't work either.

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (1,220 Views)

Try to change your default browser to IE or Firefox.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 15 (1,211 Views)

I tried setting both IE and Firefox as my default program. It did nothing.

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (1,198 Views)

[ Edited ]

More updates: Talking to support they recommended I do:

Click start > type cmd in the search box > right-click on the icon for cmd then choose run as administrator > a black box will pop up type in chkdsk /r /f press enter > press Y then enter > type exit press enter > restart computer.

That did not work since I had run a check disk the day before with 0 errors. 

Also another piece of information:

If I install version 6.9.0.106 for example and DON'T restart my computer skype runs at 00% Cpu and everything is fine. The second I restart my computer and place a call with skype EVERYTHING breaks.

Mettalknight
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (1,178 Views)

Have you tried to shut Skype down before switching your computer off? Also, have you deselected the option "Start Skype when I start Windows"?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 15 (1,155 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling