Webcam is fine, but Skype video on my end won't wo...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Webcam is fine, but Skype video on my end won't work

Skype was working fine, and then the video of me (my end) froze. (I could see the video of the other people fine, but they couldn't see me, nor could we see ourselves in the small video box.)

Now it won't work at all. However, I have tested the webcam, and it's fine. It just won't work now on Skype. I've gone into tools, and I'm not even able to access the webcam settings. The message I keep receiving is: "Can't start video. Try closing other programs that may be using your webcam." No other programs are even open. I've shut down the program several times, restarted the computer...and still nothing!

tristinedenise
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 12 (47,866 Views)

Re: Webcam is fine, but Skype video on my end won't work

Try to do a cpmplete reset of Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or OK button. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call history. All data are still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6376
Message 2 of 12 (47,861 Views)

After completed reset of Skype settings, my contacts photos and call history has gone...
How do i get them back?
Hello-kitty
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 12 (47,783 Views)

Your IM and call history is stored in a file called main.db.  You need to copy main.db from the folder with your user name in \Skype_old to the folder with your user name in the new \Skype.

When copying and pasting main.db, you have to make sure that the file from \Skype_old\YourSkype\Name actually replaces main.db in \Skype\YourSkypeName, and that it's not written as a copy.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 846
Message 4 of 12 (47,776 Views)

I am having the same problem but I am running windows vista and I do not understand your instructions so could you please help me through shared screen?

saintgary
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (43,742 Views)

im running XP

saintgary
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (43,740 Views)

If you want to re-establish your chat history, then do this:

Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or the OK button. Locate there the renamed Skype folder. Within this folder locate a subfolder with name corresponding to your Skype name. Open this folder. You will find there a file with name main.db. It may have just have a name “main” if your PC is setup to not show extensions for known file types but you will still see description “Data Base File” in the Type column. Copy this main.db file and then transfer it to the same location in the new Skype folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6376
Message 7 of 12 (43,735 Views)

i have restated the program 3 or 4 times and nothing skype keeps saying the camera doesnt work it works just not in skype can someone please help me thanks

jmead10
Tourist
Message 8 of 12 (41,162 Views)

Hello, I am having the same problem. I have a mac, do you know how to fix this.  Skype did work fine until one day the video stopped, audio and mic work fine and we can see the other party.  When I open facetime, the camera works fine.

tanntrev
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 12 (38,923 Views)

I have a MacBook Pro. And my cam won't work and its brand new.but on other websites it works
Posted from Apple iPhone
Mbookpro28
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (35,854 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling