Webcam being used by another program/Other Person ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Webcam being used by another program

Have you tried to install the Logitech driver for your webcam. You don't need the webcam software, but you may need the original driver.

You can try to update the driver using Windows Device Manager.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6075
Message 11 of 64 (9,796 Views)

Earlier today I tried to install just the Logitech driver for the C210 webcam (No other Logitech software).  I used the CD-ROM that came with the webcam.  The progress bar got to 99% complete and then my PC encountered a Windows blue screen error.  I then called Logitech product support  who lead me through a driver install from their website with the same blue screen results. 

I mentioned to the Logitech support person that I was able to see good video with Skype's preview mode (Tools->Options->Video settings).  Logitech then suggested that I go back to the default Windows USB Video Device driver, uninstall Skype, and then re-install Skype.  I've done all of that but I can't test video calling until later in the week.

Is there a chance that the skype uninstall/reinstall could help?  My version of skype was: 5.9.0.115.

acorns
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 12 of 64 (9,771 Views)

Once again, it seems like multiple people are having this problem. I have tried everything that I can think of, including talking to customer support but they were no help. All they did was tell me to try the steps I have all ready tried. A full uninstalation (including editing the registry) and reinstall. I even tried that and using an earlier skype version. Still no luck.

There is no other program using my webcam. I'm sure of it. And I'm positive its not my webcam because the webcam software program will work, and Oovoo will work, juuussst fine. No issues like this. And yes, I am certain that none of those other programs are running before I try Skype.

I really dont have any idea why this is happening and I'm getting quite frustrated. I wish someone from Skype would find out whats causing this and help everyone out. =(

LuBlue50
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 13 of 64 (9,766 Views)

acorns wrote:

Earlier today I tried to install just the Logitech driver for the C210 webcam (No other Logitech software).  I used the CD-ROM that came with the webcam.  The progress bar got to 99% complete and then my PC encountered a Windows blue screen error.  I then called Logitech product support  who lead me through a driver install from their website with the same blue screen results. 

I mentioned to the Logitech support person that I was able to see good video with Skype's preview mode (Tools->Options->Video settings).  Logitech then suggested that I go back to the default Windows USB Video Device driver, uninstall Skype, and then re-install Skype.  I've done all of that but I can't test video calling until later in the week.

Is there a chance that the skype uninstall/reinstall could help?  My version of skype was: 5.9.0.115.

Most likely the problem is not with Skype but with your computer system. If you are not able to install Logitech drivers without getting BSOD, then this indicates a serious problem with your PC. Do you have all updates from Windows Update installed?

Your system might also be underpowered (what CPU?). In one of your previous posts you have included Call Technical Info. It si showing that the CPU load during the call was about 70%. This is at the upper edge.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Video-will-start-to-flip-upside-down-rapidly/m-p/7672...

Also what is the speed of your Internet connection. You can run a test on

http://www.speedtest.net

What download/upload speeds do you getting?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 14 of 64 (9,761 Views)

I believe I have all required Microsoft Windows updates installed.  I continue to install new

updates, many of which are security related.  I will double check this.

Yes, I did notice that 70% CPU load on the call technical info.  But I thought that my system

met the Skype minimum hardware requirements and even two of the recommended

hardware requirements (CPU and Graphics Card).

Is there any information in the call technical info that indicates the reason  the outgoing video

is not even started?  Once the webcam data is input by the Skype software, as when the

video stream is previewed, we know that the webcam is operational.  And if the webcam is

operational, the driver must be working.  With the microsoft USB video device driver on my

system, Skype can produce a video steam.  It just can't put it out.

My system information is included below.

Webcam:  Logitech  Webcam C210 (Interface is a USB version 1.1)

Video calling software:  SKYPE version 5.9.0.115

Internet access:  Verizon FiOS  15 Mbps/ 5 Mbps (Advertised speed)

12.4 Mbps/ 4.88 Mbps (www.speedtest.net, run on 6/14/12)

The Internet conection is through a wireless router, an Actiontec MI424WR

OS Name:       Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version:                       5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600  

OS Manufacturer:       Microsoft Corporation           

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard        

System Model:            Pavilion ze4500 (DM736A)   

System Type:  X86-based PC

Processor:        x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1855 Mhz     

(a.k.a.:  Mobile AMD Athlon XP2500+  1.86 GHz)

BIOS Version/Date:   Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KAM1.49, 9/12/2003     

SMBIOS Version:      2.3      

Total Physical Memory:          512.00 MB  (Note:  64 MB of physical memory is used for

video, leaving a total of 448 MB of RAM)   

Available Physical Memory:   164.64 MB     

Total Virtual Memory:            2.00 GB         

Available Virtual Memory:     1.96 GB         

Page File Space:          1.34 GB         

USB Video Device:

Driver Provider:  Microsoft

Driver Date: 7/1/2001

Driver Version: 5.1.2600.5512

(14 total files)

**************** END ****************

acorns
Casual Adventurer
Message 15 of 64 (9,750 Views)

Yes. Your problem is with your PC system. The webcam is connected to USB 1.1 version. Recalling the older discussion with you, you MUST connect the webcam to a USB 2.0 port.

The CPU is only a single core CPU. 512 MB memory is very, very little.

With this configuration you will have problems with any video call. Audio calls may work but not video.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 16 of 64 (9,747 Views)

Well, thank you for your help.  When I first considered running Skype on my PC, I did check to see if my system met the necessary hardware requirements.  It seemed that it did at least meet, or somehat exceeded, the Skype minimum hardware requirements.

I never found a USB bus requirement on the Skype website.  Is it there?  Maybe it could be placed with the other hardware requirements.  So I used the Logitech C210 webcam USB bus requirement as my guide.  For the C210, Logitech states in their basic requirements specifications:

USB 1.1 port (2.0 recommended).

While USB 1.1 worked fine for video preview in Skype, apparently it is insufficient for video calling een if the video call was attempted with  a non-high definition webcam.

So the only conclusion is that I will need to buy a new PC!

acorns
Casual Adventurer
Message 17 of 64 (9,719 Views)

Still having the same problem here. Any input from anyone?

LuBlue50
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 18 of 64 (9,690 Views)

Re: Webcam being used by another program/Other Person does not see video

I had a similar issue, where the camera would take 2 to 20 minutes until the other end could see me.

I uninstalled the Logitech software suite for my c310 camera, and just use the native USB drivers now.

Seems to work OK now.

MrSanRamon
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 19 of 64 (8,848 Views)

Re: Webcam being used by another program/Other Person does not see video

Hello,

First: do not wait for any answer (especially no solution) on your problem here. It is not a support forum any more. It has been changed to community.skype.com so Skype is not taking care of problems mentioned here. The only reply I ever got from Skype here was that they closed my thread saying it was already solved in another thread. No it was not, but I said too many bad things about Skype.

Second: I also had the similar problem and was trying to search for a solution all over the net, because my "investigation" showed the result that Skype was the "other application" using my webcam (sort of schizophrenic). The cause is that the camera and the built-in microphone both claim the device for themselves. I tried to connect my camera even to a USB 3.0 port to no avail but finally connecting it to the USB-hub solved the problem. It is because windows reinstalls the drivers each time you connect your device to a new port. So you should maually remove all previous driver entries to have a new driver installed (I will not mention here how it is done, Google it). Nevertheless I do not understand why the hub made the right driver to install (where the mic and camera do not conflict).

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 20 of 64 (8,559 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling