We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

hieveryone wrote:
how can i re-establish my call and chat history? after i did what you said, there are 2 folders now. Old_Skype and Skype. what do i have to do? thanks a lot for your time, and sorry for my bad english :wink:

Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer (Quit).

Open the Old_Skype folder. Find there a sub-folder named as your Skype account. Within this folder you will find the database file named main.db. Be aware that it might be shown as just “main” but with description “Data Base” or “DB file” in the Type column. This database file contains all you chat and call history Copy and transfer this file to corresponding folder in the newly created Skype folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6404
Message 21 of 46 (1,404 Views)

Re: We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

thanks a lot for your reply!! i tried to copy the file as you said, and it shows me the message file already exists with that name in this post, and I had two options to choose, copy and replace or copy but to maintain both files. i choose the second. after these i opened again skype and my history was not there again. do i have to choose copy and replace? thank you for your time again!!!!
hieveryone
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 22 of 46 (1,396 Views)

thanks a lot for your reply!! i tried to copy the file as you said, and it shows me the message file already exists with that name in this post, and I had two options to choose, copy and replace or copy but to maintain both files. i choose the second. after these i opened again skype and my history was not there again. do i have to choose copy and replace? thank you for your time again!!!!

hieveryone
Casual Adventurer
Message 23 of 46 (1,374 Views)

hieveryone wrote:

You should absolutely have selected the option “copy and replace”. Skype is always using the actual version of the main.db file and a copy will not make any good. Be however aware that replacing the main.db file with the one from Old_Skype will also replace all your chat history which you had after renaming the Skype file. You can only replace one main.db file with the other but not to join them.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 24 of 46 (1,357 Views)

thank you so much!!! it worked!!! wish you the best and happy new year!!! :wink:

hieveryone
Casual Adventurer
Message 25 of 46 (1,353 Views)

Great :(y):, and Happy New Skype Year to you too.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 26 of 46 (1,348 Views)

I also have the cant open skype "bug". On windows 8 where the app is terrible so I want to use the desktop prog. I did the delete and it worked. But now its gone again after a reboot. Maybe windows 8 was not a good idea. The apps are rubbish for the most and other stuff doesnt work

APollard
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 27 of 46 (1,274 Views)

Hello,

here same issue on windows 8 : cant open skype, because already logged in.

Already using the latest version of skype for desktop for windows 8.

What is the final conclusion to fix this issue on windows 8?

Thx

pitchdown
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 28 of 46 (1,099 Views)

I ended up uninstalling and re-installing. So far its ok. I only had the problem with microsoft account where I had messenger and facebook accounts added.

Also had big problems with android version but that also seems better

APollard
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 29 of 46 (1,092 Views)

I should've done that instead of the 'solution' involving changing the file name.

Went through appdata changed folder name from Skype to Skype1.

Finally opens...but ALL of my contacts are unknown...then skype begins to re-ping me for every past conversation I've had in a week and erase notification settings. Woo.

Hopefully this doesn't happen but once every 3 years...

Seditious
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 30 of 46 (810 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling