We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

I get the error above "We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again." when trying to sign in. I just downloaded the Skype upgrade a few days ago and have been consistently having this problem. I am signed with the same account on another computer, but this has never been a problem before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Try to start your Windows in "Safe mode with networking".

restart your computer.
repeatedly tap F8 as you boot.
select option "Safe mode with networking".

- Now try renaming the Skype folder.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-auto-logs-off/m-p/938210/highlight/true#M69026

View solution in original post
Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

You are very welcome.

Sync Your Clock With Internet Time Server.

synctime.PNG

View solution in original post
twhit223
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 46 (61,680 Views)

Re: We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6989
Message 2 of 46 (61,665 Views)

Re: We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

I think that will work but I currently can't rename the folder. There are 7 processes all named Skype.exe *32 that appear in the task manager. I am running 64 bit windows. I've tried killing the processes through the task manager and the command prompt with "taskkill /im Skype.exe /f". Is there a trick to killing these processes and preventing them from starting from now on?

twhit223
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 46 (61,634 Views)

Try to start your Windows in "Safe mode with networking".

restart your computer.
repeatedly tap F8 as you boot.
select option "Safe mode with networking".

- Now try renaming the Skype folder.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-auto-logs-off/m-p/938210/highlight/true#M69026

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6485
Message 4 of 46 (61,630 Views)

Thanks for the help before. That seemed to work. I am now having an issue that when I receive messages, they do not appear sequentially. That is, I send messages, but when the other person replies, their messages appear somewhere earlier in the conversation (with the earlier time stamp). Any suggestions?

twhit223
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 46 (61,556 Views)

You are very welcome.

Sync Your Clock With Internet Time Server.

synctime.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 46 (61,554 Views)

I did everything according to your instructions and it didn't work. After changing the folder name to "Skype_Old" and logging on, all of my contacts appeared offline. I logged out again and restarded Skype. Then the old message appeared saying I was already signed in on my computer. This is quite frustrating. I use Windows 8 64 bit in Bulgarian. Both Skype and Windows 8 are products of Microsoft. One would expect them to be compatible with each other! And now we can't even get proper support from Microsoft. We have to write to a forum which probably nobody reads. I'm so disappointed. 

Plamencito
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 46 (60,013 Views)

You can try PortableSkype

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 46 (60,009 Views)

I installed this thing as well and the result: I log on to Skype, my contacts appear and then when I try to call someone, the programme stops responding. Has there ever been an official reply from Microsoft on this issue, because I have actually paid money for these products? According to the Bulgarian legislation, when you buy something, it has to be functional if that's what you paid for. 

Plamencito
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 46 (59,995 Views)

Plamencito wrote:

I installed this thing as well and the result: I log on to Skype, my contacts appear and then when I try to call someone, the programme stops responding. Has there ever been an official reply from Microsoft on this issue, because I have actually paid money for these products? According to the Bulgarian legislation, when you buy something, it has to be functional if that's what you paid for. 

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to Skype crash. You may copy and paste here the text from the General tab.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6989
Message 10 of 46 (59,990 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling