Video messages won't play on Skype for Windows

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Video messages won't play on Skype for Windows

I am unable to play video messages in Skype for Windows. Other suggestions from other topics have not resolved the issue. When I click on the thumbnail that shows up when someone sends me a video message, all I see is a red circle with an exclamation point in it. Video messaging used to work when they were given in the form of a web address with a PIN, but since it changed to being displayed in the Skype window, I can't play them anymore.

I have tried updating the K-Lite Codec Pack and deleting WMSDKNS.xml from C:\Users\<NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media\12.0 per other suggestions for other people who have had this issue, but it hasn't helped.

The following links do not play on my PC, either. I get the following error: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

mms://du5.media.vm.skype.com/ 

mms://lu4.media.vm.skype.com/

I am running Skype for Windows v. 6.5.0.158, Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, IE 10.0.9200.16618, and MS Silverlight 5.1.20125.0. I have the latest version of Flash player installed as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ColtonSS
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 18 (8,176 Views)

Re: Video messages won't play on Skype for Windows

The response you are getting on trying to open the above mms links is normal I’m getting the same response but everything works fine with Video messages on my computer. The only what trying these links shows is, that you can connect to these upload/download servers.

Try to uninstall IE10 and reinstall IE9.

In order to uninstall IE10 you should go to Windows Control Panel -> Program and Features -> View installed updates -> Microsoft Windows -> Windows Internet Explorer 10.

http://techdows.com/2012/11/how-to-downgrade-from-ie10-to-ie9-or-ie8-windows-7.html

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5241
Message 2 of 18 (8,165 Views)

I downgraded to IE9, but video messages still won't play.

ColtonSS
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (8,159 Views)

Try to update your Skype to the latest 6.6.0.106 version.

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/07/03/skype-for-windows-desktop-6-6-making-it-easier-to-use/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 18 (8,157 Views)

Just updated Skype. It still didn't resolve the issue.

I appreciate the suggestions so far! Any others?

ColtonSS
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (8,153 Views)

If you self record a video message and send it to someone, can you then play the recorded message?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 18 (8,142 Views)

I have this same issue.  There appear to be two threads in this forum concerning this issue, and none of the fixes suggested work.  Note - this issue does not occur on any of my android devices, just Windows.

elftazi
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (8,117 Views)

Are there no responses to this post?  I would really like to be able to see my video messages - Skype keeps advertising this useless feature and that should stop if it isn't functional.

elftazi
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 18 (7,988 Views)

Same issue... used to work with the link/passcode thing... but it won't play in Skype. On Windows Vista/Skype version 6.6.0.106 and the video just shows the loading symbol, but will never play...

evanguy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 18 (7,620 Views)

evanguy wrote:

Same issue... used to work with the link/passcode thing... but it won't play in Skype. On Windows Vista/Skype version 6.6.0.106 and the video just shows the loading symbol, but will never play...

Do you have the latest Adobe Flash Player installed?

http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Also, what is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 18 (7,615 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling