Video isn't working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Video isn't working

Okay, so merely 12 hours ago, I was on Skype with my boyfriend overseas. We were enjoying a nice videochat when all of a sudden, the call dropped, which I guess was no big deal.

We reconnected, and to my frustration, I could see him, but my video would not load. He was clearly online since I was on Skype with him and his video camera was working, but no matter how long I waited, my video would not load up. There was just a blank space with the stupid load circle.

I have an intergrated web cam and so there is no issue of being unplugged or anything.

I've tried installing Skype again since that seemed to fix a different problem I had before, but this time, it didn't help at all.

Please, help me out. All I want is to be able to have a nice video chat with my boyfriend who is overseas. I don't get to talk to him often because of our conflicting time zones, and Skype had been my only way.

Racortone
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 15 (7,892 Views)

Re: Video isn't working

What version of Windows are you running?

What version of Skype?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

If you click on Tools > Options > Video settings, do you see your video there?

What does it say in the Select webcam box?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 926
Message 2 of 15 (7,883 Views)

I've tried the Tools > Options > Video Setting thing countless times already. I do not see my video, all I see is a blank screen with the loading circle, as stated above.

I think I'm running Windows 7.

As for Skype version, it is 5.10.0.116 Wait...is that the number you're asking for?

And, I'm sorry, I don't see a select webcam box. It is supposed to be in the Video Setting area? I have an intergrated webcam, does that make a difference in what is there?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your help.

Racortone
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (7,876 Views)

This is the Select webcam box located at Tools > Options > Video settings:

select-webcam.jpg

What's in that box?   And if you click on the pull down arrow to the right of the box, are there any other choices showing?

What make and model is your laptop?

Does your webcam work with any other program?  If you don't have any other application to test it with, try this link:  http://www.sillywebcam.com/test.htm  

Does your webcam work there?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 15 (7,851 Views)

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545, the model number is PP41L.

And it seems that I don't have a drop down box at all.

This is what I have;

techhelp.png

I don't have any other program to test it, so I've used the link you provided. I clicked yes to the program accessing my webcam and microphone...but it remains blank. My webcam light has not turned on at all.

Here is a screen shot. Am I doing something wrong?

techhelp2.png

Racortone
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (7,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmmm.  I've never seen that rendering of the Video settings window before.  On Tools Options > General settings, do you have Visual style of the window set to Skype or Classic Windows?   Whichever it is, you might try the other to see if the select webcam box and pull down arrow shows up.

Getting back to your webcam problem, since the webcam doesn't work on that webcam test site it points to the problem not being directly related to Skype.  I'd suggest:

Check to make sure all Windows updates are current.

Go to the Dell website and look for an updated driver for your webcam.  If you find one, download and install it.

If no change, and if you're comfortable doing so, go to Device Manager and uninstall your webcam under "Imaging devices."   Reboot the computer, let Windows find and reinstall the webcam, and see if that helps.

If still no help, contact Dell tech support.  You could actually have a hardware problem where the webcam itself has failed.

Or, you could buy an external webcam as a work around to the problem with your built in one.  I suggest one of the Logitech models that are specifically designed for laptops.

Good luck. 

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 15 (7,837 Views)

I had it set to Skype style. I changed it to classic windows and still no drop box.

I had called Dell Support and had endured 3 hours on the phone with them.

Apparently it was just the software support though, and they at least let me know that it is possibly hardware related since everything they tried did not work.

I'll check windows updates though, just to be safe...

And I'd rather leave buying an external webcam as a last resort.

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for Monday, as the hardware support is not in business today.

Any idea or thought as to why my webcam would just quit out on me like that?

It had been working just fine until my initial Skype call with my boyfriend was dropped unexpectedly.

Racortone
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (7,827 Views)

I have no idea why a webcam might fail but hardware does fail.

I think it would be worth a try to uninstall and reinstall the webcam, if you're so inclined.  It could be that the driver became corrupt and reinstalling it will get things going again.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 15 (7,815 Views)

But does it happen all of a sudden like that?

I'm not sure. I'm not very tech-savvy, I might end up doing more harm than good if I try to do the uninstall/reinstall thing.

Racortone
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (7,807 Views)

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 15 (7,778 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling