Video flashes grey

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Video flashes grey

In video chats, my partner can see me, and see herself on her screen, but on mine the area where i should see her just flashes different shades of grey and the box where i should see myself is just a solid grey block. It happens with any contact and I have tried restarting skype but it doesnt fix it. Any help?

jamesbowater
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (237 Views)

Re: Video flashes grey

What type device are you using?  Mac?  Windows?  Mobile?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1889
Message 2 of 9 (234 Views)

Windows 7.

jamesbowater
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (230 Views)

Might you be running an nVidia display adapter?  If so, see this link for suggestions that may help:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Remedy-for-distorted-video-with-nVidia-display-adapat...

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 9 (220 Views)

[ Edited ]

I do have a nVidia video card, it's a GeForce Go 7300, I don't really know what a display adapter is, but I'm guessing I've got one because you worked out I was on nVidea?

I checked the link and checked stage two, and it was already set like that.

As for updating my drivers, I think I might need to because I went on the system information bit and it says the driver version is 179.67, which is older than the one stated as being problematic on that link. I'm not really sure how to update the drivers though? Is it just a case no downloading something off their website and installing it?

Sorry, I know I could try to work this out myself but i get a bit nervous with drivers because on an old family computer someone updated the drivers for something and managed to screw the computer up pretty badly (Cant remember what it did, but I remember it being bad) so I'm very cautious with them.

Thanks for the help!

jamesbowater
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (214 Views)

I did check the site, and got it to run an automatic check of my system to see if my drivers needed up dating, and it found the card named above, and said what driver number I had but said that it was up to date. So I'm guessing it's not that I need to update them?

jamesbowater
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (209 Views)

Look at the other settings this user found corrected his problem.  If yours aren't already set that way, you can try that:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Distorted-Video-with-new-Nvidia-driver-285-62/m-p/348...

It's interesting that you seem to have a later driver that the version nVidia shows for your model display adapter (which it was Windows calls a video card).    This link is showing 179.48 as the latest version, which is 3 years old: 

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/8971

What make/model is your laptop? 

You might read through the notes on that page, including the one about a Dell software update if your laptop happens to be a Dell.   You could also try installing the driver on that page but use the link to backup your current system configuration that's under "Before downloading the driver."   Or not....if doing so makes you nervouse.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 9 (201 Views)

Looked at that other users stuff, however, in the 3D settings section i only have one option (adjust image settings with preview) whereas he has two more so I cant adjust those ones...

I dont have a Dell, its a Acer Aspire 5630, but I will try installing that, seemingly older, driver. I'll make sure I backup, and then download the Driver. Once I have downloaded it, what is the process to install it?

Thanks again. 

jamesbowater
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (194 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok and good luck.  Please let us know how you make out.   It may help others reading this thread in the future.

edit:  You might also take a look at this link:

http://www.asus-drivers.com/resources/how-to-solve-webcam-upside-down-issue.html

It's not about your specific problem but addresses updating Asus drivers and you never know....  :wink:

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 9 (192 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling