Video call wont let the person see me

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Video call wont let the person see me

So I just got started with Skype, so there is a possibility I have a setting not clicked or something. I have version 5.9.0.114 of skype and I have a Hp WebCam 3100 with built in microphone. When I go to call or receive a call, I can automatically see the other persons video and hear them, they can hear me but not view me and it says my video isn't connected on their screen, and in the bottom right hand side of screen, I can see my video of me talking. As I move the mouse and a display kinda tab pops up showing 4 symbols of video, sound, an "X" symbol, and a disconnect symbol, if I click the video symbol it says my video is turned off(even though I can see my video of me in the right hand corner of the screen. When I go to options, I can 'test' my video and it shows my video, even when I first downloaded Skype it showed my video right off the start. I honestly can't find out what is causing my video to be turned off when I'm completely connected. I have no other programs running that is using the web cam and when I bought the web cam, on the box it even says its compatible with Skype....... Any one that knows what am I doing wrong or not clicking would be so much of a help.  Thank you

charlotte666
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 20 (24,205 Views)

Re: Video call wont let the person see me

Do you have the problem with just that one contact or more than one?

If you click on the webcam/video button on the toolbar at the bottom of the Skype window to toggle your video off and then click it again to toggle it back on, does that make any difference?   Sometimes that will help jump start video that doesn't start on its' own.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1891
Message 2 of 20 (24,182 Views)

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 3 of 20 (23,637 Views)

I have the same problem with the person I am calling not able to see me. I have tried to turn off and back on as you suggested but they still cannot see me
Posted from Generic Android
bobtrautmann
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 20 (23,140 Views)

Well....first, are you on a Windows machine when you're having the problem? (Your post here said "Posted from generic Android device.")

If so, as I asked the original poster (who never replied) are you having the same problem with just one contact or with many?

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

And when on a call, do you see your own video in your picture-in-picture?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 20 (23,136 Views)

Hi again,

I'm using a Macbook Pro. I was working beautifully but ever since I did an upgrade on OS system, no one can see me but i can see them. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Skype but still no luck. Not sure whatelse to do.

Kimsue

kimsue
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 20 (23,065 Views)

and yes it is a recent version of skype and no I dont see the my own video in the picture-in-picture. The processing circle keeps running as if its forever loading.

kimsue
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 20 (23,061 Views)

same issue here - ive been having it since i upgraded to Lion months ago - any solutions?
thejewishrapper
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 20 (22,843 Views)

You're posting in a Windows forum where you won't likely find an answer to your problem.  Create a new thread/subject with details in the Mac forum for a better chance of getting help:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/bd-p/Mac

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 20 (22,836 Views)

ahh - my apologies - was not paying attention - will do!

thejewishrapper
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 20 (22,822 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling