On Skype, my camera image is upside down. Under Tools-Options-Video the settings are locked so that I can't editted them. If I could unlock these settings, I could flip the image around and correct it. My camera is working properly with other applications.
and you can also try to open the video software to see if the settings can be changed there. for example, In the software that comes with Logitech webcam, you can change the video orientation (Mirrored, Upside-Down) in the Advanced Settings section.
I had a similar problem using Skype on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise 64 bits. The video would be displayed upside down.
First, I followed instructions we can find on Skype/Ubuntu forums and google :
Skype starts but the video is still upside down. The output on the console was :
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
I checked that my libv4l libs are correctly installed but it appears that the file cannot be preloaded for some reasons.
For me, the problem was a wrong path in the above command.
To solve this problem, I followed the steps below :
1) Open Synaptic Manager (easy to install if you don't have it)
2) Type "libv4l" in the search field.
3) Locate "libv4l-0:i386", right click and select Properties.
4) Make sure you are on "Installed Files" tab (it should be the default tab).
5) Locate the line with "libv4l/v4l1compat.so" at the end.
6) Copy the complete path "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" (it might be something else for you).
7) Open a terminal and run : LD_PRELOAD=[paste the path you copied on step 6] skype.
The command should look like this :
After skype login, go to Option and check if your video is displayed correclty.
I hope this can help.
Just one thing... if you put that line in the desktop luncher you will start Skype from the icon without problems.