Re: Upgraded to Premium but cannot share screens a...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Upgraded to Premium but cannot share screens and use video calling together

I upgraded to Skype Premium in order to be able to have video calls (1-1) and share my desktop simultaneously. It had worked briefly when I used the 24 hr Premium trial but now that I have upgraded, video switches off automatically when I share my screen. Likewise when I click to enable video it stops sharing my screen.

I'm working on Windows 7 HP. I tried this on the latest version of Skype and also tried downgrading to version 6.1.999.130 as I read that this has resolved video calling issues for Window 7. However neither works! Can anyone help me? I'm paying for a feature that is not working which is frustrating. 

Sheilala
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (155 Views)

Re: Upgraded to Premium but cannot share screens and use video calling together

Your shared video screen will be seen as another simultaneous video source.  You need to make sure your normal video is disabled prior to sharing your screen for it to work in a non premium account.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1102
Message 2 of 9 (144 Views)

Hi Techfreak, 

Appreciate you answering my question. I'm not sure that I follow when you say that I need to ensure my 'normal' video is disabled prior to sharing my screen for it to work on a non premium account? Do you mean that I need to disable the video of me if I also want to share my screen? That despite upgrading to a premium account I cannot share my screen and video chat at the same time unless the other person has also upgraded to premium?

Thanks again!

Sheilala
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 9 (120 Views)

[ Edited ]

Theoretically you should be able to share your screen and send video if you have Premium account. This is one of the benefits of Premium account.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10868/what-is-skype-premium

Only one user needs to have Premium for this feature to work.

Your video should not switch off when you start screen sharing. If this happens, then this might be due to limitations of your CPU or available upload speed. The problem might also be on your contact’s side. Have you tried screen sharing with video with different contacts?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6064
Message 4 of 9 (117 Views)

I have the same issue, just upgrade to Premium but the sharing desktop option is not avaialble, stay in ligth gray. What can should I do?

Markxyl
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 9 (66 Views)

Markxyl wrote:

I have the same issue, just upgrade to Premium but the sharing desktop option is not avaialble, stay in ligth gray. What can should I do?

Is the contact you are trying to share screen with Online on Skype? The status icon next to this contact's name must be solid green with a white checkmark inside.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 9 (62 Views)

Yes it is, I try sharing before calling, and in a call in progress and not work either way.

Markxyl
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (55 Views)

Markxyl wrote:

Yes it is, I try sharing before calling, and in a call in progress and not work either way.

Look in Windows Registry for Policies settings. Perhaps screen sharing is disabled there.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Share-Screens-is-grayed-out/m-p/1533991#M131470

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 9 (52 Views)

YES!!! it works now.

Thanks,

Markxyl
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (42 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling