Unattended install

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Unattended install

Hi,

I need to bundle Skype with Windows 7 for a mass upgrade across our PCs. Firstly, can Skype be installed in silent/unattended mode?

Also, if it can, can Skype be installed with certain options? I need to set a specific inbound port and turn off the port 80/443 option..

Will

wgpayne
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 4 (49,942 Views)

Re: Unattended install

[ Edited ]

wgpayne wrote:

Hi,

I need to bundle Skype with Windows 7 for a mass upgrade across our PCs. Firstly, can Skype be installed in silent/unattended mode?

Also, if it can, can Skype be installed with certain options? I need to set a specific inbound port and turn off the port 80/443 option..

Will

You will need to check the system registry for Uninstall to get the correct value first, it varies by Skype client version.

One Example to Uninstall Stand-Alone:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ {E633D396-5188-4E9D-8F6B-BFB8BF3467E8}

The above is for 5.2.0.102 beta version

1. You will need to stop any possibly running Skype clients on that system:

%PROGRAMFILES%\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /shutdown

2. Then use the correct uninstall string you found for that release in the system registry using that key and add /qn /norestart:

msiexec /X {E633D396-5188-4E9D-8F6B-BFB8BF3467E8} /qn /norestart'

Install Options:

Installation Directory;

* The property INSTALLDIR determines the root directory of the Skype installation.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi INSTALLDIR=c:\temp\skype

Installation for All Users;

* Adding ALLUSERS=1 causes an installation for all users. By default, the non-interactive installation installs the package just for the current user.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi ALLUSERS=1

Feature Selection;

* A number of properties allow selection of features to be installed, reinstalled, or removed. The set of features for the Skype installer is

+ Phone - the Skype executable with preloaded graphics and contacts.
+ IEPlugin - the Internet Explorer plugin
+ FFPlugin - the Mozilla Firefox plugin

Administrative Installation;

* Use the following command to initiate an "administrative" (network) installation:

msiexec /a SkypeSetup.msi TARGETDIR=c:\temp\skype

The files get unpacked into the target directory (which should be a network directory), but no other modification is made to the local system. In addition, another (smaller) msi file is generated in the target directory, which clients can then use to perform a local installation.

Currently, there is no user interface for administrative installations, so the target directory must be passed on the command line. There is no specific uninstall procedure for an administrative install - just delete the target directory if no client uses it anymore.

You can use the "feature properties" and install level to control what features preselected and available for installation.

1. Installs only Skype, plugin features are hidden from end user.

msiexec /a SkypeSetup.msi TARGETDIR=c:\temp FEATURE_IEPLUGIN=0 FEATURE_FFPLUGIN=0 INSTALLLEVEL=1

2. Installs only Skype, plugin features are visible to end user.

msiexec /a SkypeSetup.msi TARGETDIR=c:\temp INSTALLLEVEL=1

3. Installs Skype, IE and FF plugins.

msiexec /a SkypeSetup.msi TARGETDIR=c:\temp INSTALLLEVEL=10

Customization Transforms;

To Install Without the Desktop Shortcut;

Use the RemoveDesktopShortcut.mst transformation to remove Desktop icon.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi TRANSFORMS=:RemoveDesktopShortcut.mst

To Install Without any Shortcuts;

Use the RemoveAllShortcuts.mst transformation to remove all shortcuts in "Start" and "Send To" menus and the Desktop icon.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi TRANSFORMS=:RemoveAllShortcuts.mst

To Disable Starting Skype Automatically at Logon;

Use the RemoveStartup.mst transformation to disable Skype starting automatically after user has logged in.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi TRANSFORMS=:RemoveStartup.mst

Launching Skype After Installation;

* The property STARTSKYPE can be used to control the Skype launch at the end of installation (full user interface only). For example, the following command disables Skype launch after installation ends.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi STARTSKYPE=FALSE /qf

Removing Previous Skype Installations;

* The Skype MSI package is designed to remove old Skype (Inno) setups on install. The SKYPEREMOVAL=[DEFAULT|INNO|SCRIPT] property was introduced to control how this removal works.

By default the version of installed Skype package determines the removal method: if version < 2.6 then custom uninstall script is run else the Inno uninstall action is executed. For example, the following command forces Skype to use custom JScript to remove previous installation.

msiexec /i SkypeSetup.msi SKYPEREMOVAL=SCRIPT /qf

Registry/GPO Settings ("Includes Port Options"):

http://download.skype.com/share/business/guides/skype-it-administrators-guide.pdf

http://sourceforge.net/projects/customadmx/files/Skype/

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 2 of 4 (49,832 Views)

I see this is a nearly year old post, but I have some questions about it.  Hopefully somebody (maybe TheUberOverLord who replied originally) will see it an be able to answer.

First, thank you to TheUberOverLord for the above reply.  I was also looking for the above information and this was the ONLY thing I found with information about it anywhere from several Google searches.

Second, if anyone from Skype reads these forums (sorry, I'm new to Skype and these forums, so I'm not sure), this information about unattended installs and parameters to modify the install should be in the IT Administrator's Guide document.

Beyond that....

Are the commands given in the above reply intended for the "home" version of Skype, or the "Business" version. Neither the original post asking the question, nor the reply with all the options ever mentions the business version explicitly (that I can see, unless I missed it) but the reply is talking about the SkypeSetup.msi which I understand is the business version.

BUT, assuming it's for the Business version, then I have some questions about some of the parameters.  It's also possible that some of the information in the previous reply was based on older versions of Skype and no longer apply, but I guess then I'd like confirmation of that if that is the case.

I've been doing some testing of various command line parameters on the SkypeSetup.msi (business version of Skype) for version 5 for doing my own automated deployment in our company.  I've tried a few different versions of version 5 from 5.3, 5.5, 5.9, and 5.10 and I do see the same results described below with all of these sub-versions within major version 5.

ALLUSERS=1 appears to basically have no effect at all.  I work with InstallShield and Windows Installer myself for other things and am familiar with the general implication of ALLUSERS.  However in my testing, leaving ALLUSERS=1 out of the command line for Skype still installs for all users, NOT the current user as described in the above reply.  And trying to specify other parameters for ALLUSERS, like 0 to force current user only, or 2 to install for current user only if no admin rights but all users if it has admin rights, just causes the installer to exit immediately and not install (even if the logged in user HAS admin rights).  So it appears to me that the ALLUSERS=1 parameter is simply not needed and has no value at all for the Skype business version install, at least for version 5.

All the information in the above reply regaring the web browser plugins, do these actually have any real effect with the Skype business version?  From what I can tell, even when installed totally interactively by just double-clicking on the SkypeSetup.msi file, the Skype business version does not install any web browser plugins, unless it installs them without prompting like the full SkypeSetup.exe does (to clarify, SkypeSetup.exe DOES have prompts for installing various web browser plugins).  So is that correct that Skype business version does not include any of the browser plugins?

STARTSKYPE=FALSE appears to have no effect.  If you run SkypeSetup.msi with a fully interactive install (even if you use /qf) it WILL start up after the install, even if this parameter IS specified.  If you run an unattended install using /qb or /qr, it will NOT startup after the install, even if this parameter is NOT specified.

Mostly I'm just wondering if what I'm seeing is indeed correct for the Skype 5 business version install, or if not, then help sorting out why I'm seeing that's different than the above reply that I'm basing my testing on.

Thank you!

zaphod451
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 4 (42,574 Views)

[ Edited ]

For those coming after me, it took me a bit to realize that the MST (TRANSFORMS) files referenced by TheUberOverLord are not merely the product of some substance-induced mind fog, but are actually embedded in the Skype Windows Installer file (SkypeSetup.msi). Had I been more familiar with Windows Installer syntax, I would have recognized this from the colon prefixed to the MST filenames, as this is the syntax to use when an MST is embedded in the Windows Installer file. Hey, I'm not the "sharpest tool in the shed" as they saying goes. :happy:

Oh and if you're curious as I was about what a particular MST does, you can extract the embedded MSTs by using a utility (stgxtr.exe) mentioned near the end of this post by Jo Santiago. Then open/edit SkypeSetup.msi in Orca which is available from the Windows SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers. With SkypeSetup.msi open in Orca, open the Transform menu and click Apply Transform... Browse to and select the MST you extracted and want to learn more about. A green bar will appear next to any modified (transformed) tables, and any changes/additions/deletions in the table will have some kind of green indicator.

Here are the links I tried to anchor to above:

http://jogelogy.blogspot.com/2010/02/extract-embedded-mst-from-msi-installer.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370834(v=vs.85).aspx

--
What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?
NomDeGuerre
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 4 (37,402 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling