Unable to sign in- Disk I/O error. Tried everythin...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Unable to sign in- Disk I/O error. Tried everything

Hi,

Today out of the blue I couldn't log in anymore, due to a "disk i/o error". So far I have tried (in this order):

1) Restart Skype

2) Restart Computer

3) Follow this guide to delete my skype user file https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10143/why-do-i-get-a-disk-i-o-error-when-i-try-to-sign-in-to-skyp...

4) Deleted my user (fresh made from failed login) AGAIN, then rebooted computer before opening skype

5) Deleting user, uninstalling skype

6) Deleting user, uninstalling skype, going into appdata/roaming and deleting entire skype folder

7) Cry and whine at my monitor

I'm out of ideas, what should I do? 

Thanks!

ruwim
Community Ambassador

Accepted Solution

Try oncemore to delete all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old.

If you are on the latest Skype 6.5/6.6/6.7/6.9/6.10/6.11 version, then do also this:

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp%\skype and then press Enter or click the OK button. Delete the DbTemp folder.

Restart Skype.

If this will still not help then try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates.

View solution in original post
Zoogie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 15 (11,263 Views)

Re: Unable to sign in- Disk I/O error. Tried everything

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old.

If you are on the latest Skype 6.5/6.6/6.7/6.9/6.10/6.11 version, then do also this:

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp%\skype and then press Enter or click the OK button. Delete the DbTemp folder.

Restart Skype.

If this will still not help then try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6299
Message 2 of 15 (11,253 Views)

Hi, this worked for me. One extra step though.

I had to delete the entire skype folder in the temp. 

Thank you!

Zoogie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 15 (11,237 Views)

[ Edited ]

Really? This much to get the update and not an error? I'm exploring different solutions if I can't get this thing to work. I am currently using an older version that works, but I communicate with a job that is using Skype. It's a known problem.....Fix it or lose customers.

Skip Jones

Skype - [Removed for privacy]

e-mail - [Mod edit: Please do not include personal/private information when making a public post. Thanks!]

skipjones
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 15 (11,229 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Restart Skype.

ruwim: Why is this specific old version recommended? What is so special about it? I followed your downgrade directions trying to fix my video freezing and it seems this version fixes this problem as well WHEN IT IS INSTALLED ON BOTH ENDS.

JoeSchmoe007
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 15 (11,203 Views)

Just trying to update to latest v dot. Can't seem to shake the IO issue even though I went to registry and cleaned, deleted old version using control panel after saving "Main" and "Synchost" to desktop. Oh yeah, restarting and restarting.....No love...

skipjones
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (11,198 Views)

JoeSchmoe007 wrote:

ruwim wrote:

Restart Skype.

ruwim: Why is this specific old version recommended? What is so special about it? I followed your downgrade directions trying to fix my video freezing and it seems this version fixes this problem as well WHEN IT IS INSTALLED ON BOTH ENDS.

6.1 is the last more “traditional” version. Since then, a lot of modifications have been made especially to the video engine and the connection procedure. Not all computer systems are compatible with these changes.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6299
Message 7 of 15 (11,174 Views)

Went to Bing to see if a better solution was served up. Nope, same amount of issues with Skype 6.11. Bout done.

skipjones
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (11,166 Views)

I have done EVERYTHING to reinstalling skype, deleting the skype folder, deleting the DbTemp folder, reformatted PC.

Still can't login to Skype.

It just gives me a broken button.

(  Sign In  )
*click* wait.. waits.. waits more.. 5 mins later.. 
*click*

SomaMafuyu
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 15 (10,953 Views)

I am facing the same problem. I tried to uninstall the previous version of skype instead, it gives me 2203 error. So, neither i can uninstall the current version on my windows 7, nor i can log in. Any suggestions?!!

rahul.singh
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 15 (10,536 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling