Unable to hear own voice ?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Unable to hear own voice ?

Just joined Skype for first time and whilst I'm hearing their test sounds through the headphones ok, I can't hear my own voice when asked. However in Sounds then Recordings the green vertical bars under Microphone are moving up and down fine, so am I needing some more software or....?

Thanks

Win 7 64 bit Home

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (1,481 Views)

Re: Unable to hear own voice ?

In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings. What device do you see there selected as your Microphone? Is there more than one option available in the selection box? Can you see any response on the Volume bar when you make any sound?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7419
Message 2 of 14 (1,473 Views)

Hi thanks,

Yes 2. Microphone Realtek High Definition Audio and Stereo Mix Realtek High Definition Audio. And yes there's a series of green lines when I speak.

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (1,465 Views)

Have you selected  Microphone Realtek High Definition Audio and is this device also selected as your default Microphone device in Windows Sound Control Panel?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 14 (1,461 Views)

Yes to both, also the green vertical bars are working in "Sound" too....

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (1,456 Views)

So what exactly happens now when you make a test call to Skype Echo Sound Test Service?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 14 (1,450 Views)

After being asked to leave a message between the two beeps I'm told that if I don't hear anything, only the automatic message, there's something wrong with my audio equipment somewhere.

I should add that I'm still quite a bit unfamiliar with Win 7 also I've never used a webcam or Skype before so I'm not sure what I should and should not have. Consequently I'd been checking out things well beforehand and I'm now wondering if I should have a desktop microphone as well ?

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (1,441 Views)

You can run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. Please, attach this file to your post. Info on all installed devices should be available in this file.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 14 (1,439 Views)

Well I've got the file ok but I've never had to zip a file before....??

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (1,430 Views)

Ok nearly there....

Arcadian
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (1,418 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling