Two versions on one PC

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Two versions on one PC

[ Edited ]

What are the steps for installing two versions of Skype on the same PC?

I would like to install both 4.2 and 5.x on my family's computers (ranging from XP to 7). For some of my more senior family members, 4.2 works best (ie, double-click a contact starts a video call), and they gripe at me (a lot) about what they don't like on 5.x.

On the other hand, 5.x offers better video and audio performance, which really helps when they are trying to show me something.

Since there is still an option to Start with Windows, it could be set On for the version a user prefers (and Off for the other version), with shortcuts on the desktop to start either one after quitting*.

This would provide a consistent deployment and would be much easier to maintain.

Although my family's computers range from XP to 7, I can extrapolate to the other flavors.

*OK, there's no quitting 5.x without task manager

SmirkingChimp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 5 (3,918 Views)

Re: Two versions on one PC

This is an example of a procedure for setup of several different Skype versions on one computer:

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/Searching-for-a-person-in-a-specific-country/m-p/17...

P.S. There is always a Quit option for all Skype versions incl. 5.x. Right click on the system try icon and select Quit.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7072
Message 2 of 5 (3,766 Views)

Thanks ruwim. I had read in other threads that some people had inadvertently ended up with two version on their machine, and I thought that I might be able to duplicate that.

But installing a portable version is a workable solution.

FYI: On my Windows 7 w/ Skype 5.5.0.119, right-clicking on the icon in the system tray produces these three options:

* Pin this program to taskbar

* Close window

Maybe with different versions on older OS's there is an option to quit.

SmirkingChimp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 5 (3,755 Views)

SmirkingChimp wrote:

FYI: On my Windows 7 w/ Skype 5.5.0.119, right-clicking on the icon in the system tray produces these three options:

* Pin this program to taskbar

* Close window

Maybe with different versions on older OS's there is an option to quit.

That's the taskbar, not the sytem tray /notification area.

The icon ruwim referred to, where right-clicking gives a Quit option,  is in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  If there's no Skype icon, click on the up arrow to show hidden icons and it should be there.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 4 of 5 (3,747 Views)

comment installer 2 versions de skype sur 1 PC au meme temp ????

karim1984
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 5 (315 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling