Strange noise when talking to one person

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Strange noise when talking to one person

I'm on skype a lot with my buddies. But when I'm talking to one specific friend I always hear something very strange in the background. All of my other friends deny hearing it. It sounds like a cat purr or something of the Prawn from District 9. It is accompanied by an eerie "whistle", like that of which you would find in horror movies. 

It's bugging me, and it's a little frightening when it gets loud enough.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cohocat
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 14 (7,003 Views)

Re: Strange noise when talking to one person

My friends are hearing this with my voice too.. someone help us figure out what it is please!

RedChronic
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 14 (6,823 Views)

I have the same problem, but only when my friend calls me from his iPad 2 version that got updated recently. I am on a Mac and have no problem with other PCs or Macs, but updated iPad2s got this background whispering thing going on. And video freeze more often than before. It must be an issue with iPad2 update. Perhaps the Skype for iPad now absolutely require iOS 5 for getting any quality.. I am really not proud of Skype engineers.. Very bad.. No wonder M$ bought them..

eze
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 14 (6,810 Views)

I have that problem as-well..though it is only to a specific friend and no other...we usually discuss deep topics so I would like to know if it is the same with you & your friend cause it sounds like something out of a horror film....some fourth kind,alien hover craft vessel with mumbles in the background that would seem if a being is setting up communication or am being tapped for sure...would like to know if you discuss ordinary topics with your friend if not there is problem or one us either me or my friend has a really weak connection?!? we'll figure it out....may peace &love be upon you..
lluka
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 14 (6,628 Views)

[ Edited ]

i have exactly the same problem when talking today to my partner on skype.we always used to hear weird noises (usually a simple humming kinda thing), this time however it freaked us both out... we noticed that the noise would only start when my bf was making a specific sudden movement with his hand ...or stand on the left side of his computer.... he could not hear it so i recordered everything ...it sounded like a pissed off wood pecker ... when we were ignoring it for a while, it would have a sudden outburst. we concluded that there must be a presence in his house and the computer is transmitting the noises to me. it cannot be a simple mic problem, as it would always react to us standing in a certain spot in the house or talking about a specific subject. i've been testing different kind of sounds for two weeks now. the annoying bit is, they are getting more and more aggressive ..

ps. the weirdest part is that it completely stopped its activity when his mother walked into the room. when dad was walking around, it would quietten down for a bit ,however still make us aware of its presence...

Gosia

gosiastellina
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 14 (6,234 Views)

yeh the same happens 2 only 1 of my friends wen i'm talkin 2 her but they hav a really gud connection and so do i !!??

jessiew
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (6,212 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can you replace your microphone with another one?

artonweb
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 14 (6,207 Views)

i can't really change the microphone cause it's built in ( no head-phones )

jessiew
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (6,197 Views)

Try it with an external (USB-)microphone. Most probably it's either interference with electronic devices on your room that is shielded or more prevalent when with people moving around in the room.
Alternatively it's a broken cable inside the headset connection cables.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11907
Message 9 of 14 (6,178 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just use external USB and it will work. That happened to me too.

Επιπλα Baltongr

boterboter
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 14 (6,017 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling