Stop Skype opening windows on start up

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Stop Skype opening windows on start up

Hi, since the latest Skype Update to version 5 it opens at start up with the Skype page appearing. It's a bit annoying because I have to close the window each time.Does anyone have a fix for this? To make it clear I do not want to stop Skype starting with Windows I just want to stop the Skype screen opening up at system startup. With previous versions Skype would start up in the background ready to receive calls but would only open when asked to do.The updated version has no manners at all, it just barges right in without an invite!

higginbottomm
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 20 (36,612 Views)

Re: Stop Skype opening windows on start up

[ Edited ]

You are not own your own, there are so many of us feeling like skype has pooped on us.

And they are to gutless to reply

gerrydraper
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 2 of 20 (36,515 Views)

unfortunately, this is how the new Skype versions behave.  you can see some suggestions, workarounds, and the discussion regarding the same issue here;

Disabling Skype Home Autostart

moreover, a request was also already passed in the developers' page.  you can check the progress and enter your own comments here;

Skype 5.5 should have an option to disable the Home screen popup in Compact view

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1673
Message 3 of 20 (36,507 Views)

[ Edited ]

Primemover wrote:

unfortunately, this is how the new Skype versions behave.  

Thats a real shame Prime

gerrydraper
Reliable Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (36,503 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype was trusted, now they are crapping on us, their clients.

That to me is  internet suicide. How the hell does a company like skype not see that.

I really can not believe what I'm seeing here

gerrydraper
Reliable Adventurer
Message 5 of 20 (36,499 Views)

If I crapped on my clients, I would be out of business tomorrow.

gerrydraper
Reliable Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (36,494 Views)

There are so many people cpomplaining about this that I do not understand why Skype does not address the problem. Where is the competition?

higginbottomm wrote:

Hi, since the latest Skype Update to version 5 it opens at start up with the Skype page appearing. It's a bit annoying because I have to close the window each time.Does anyone have a fix for this? To make it clear I do not want to stop Skype starting with Windows I just want to stop the Skype screen opening up at system startup. With previous versions Skype would start up in the background ready to receive calls but would only open when asked to do.The updated version has no manners at all, it just barges right in without an invite!

matiascr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 20 (36,203 Views)

Please Please Please Skype developers can you change this very annoying feature. Who in their right mind would approve such programming with no option to turn it off. It either gets removed or I remove skype from my computer. 

andrew_robinson
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 20 (36,065 Views)

After version 4.2, Skype turned into malware, first by forcing updates (there is no way to turn this off, either!) and then by using that Trojan-like behaviour to force popups to appear. For many people, this doesn't even JUST happen at startup, but will keep popping up, minimizing whatever they had up and going! So much for Skype promising no intrusive ads. So aside from giving us malware, they also have misleading advertisement! You should upgrade to version 4.2. You can find it at a side that is called OldApps. You can just google it because Skype blocked linking to it, apparently.
bluewind95
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 20 (36,058 Views)

This new "feature" from several upgrades ago is extremely annoying and poor manners.  As a paid subscriber to Skype I would expect to have the option to disable this rude double window opening at every boot of my computers.  Can you imagine if every application did this?  If I were not a paid subscriber, then I couldn't complain so vociferously, but I can't even find a place to complain to Skype directly and it is most disappointing and frustrating. Hope someone comes up with a quick solution for this issue soon.

ric810
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 20 (35,783 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling