Steps to Stop and Remove the Skype Malware/Virus

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Steps to Stop and Remove the Skype Malware/Virus

I've seen a lot of steps posted for this, and as far as I can tell not one actually works.

Here's what I have done. Keep in mind this is considering users with roaming profiles and widows 7.

Sign out of Skype

Check these areas: (and looking at date stamps helps)

Local Machine

• Users Local machine Downloads : remove any files that look like zips from skype
  • Users Local machine c:\windows\csc\v2.0.6 (maybe a different version)
  • Give the admin ownership of the v.0.6 folder and apply to subfolders
  • In v2.0.6 delete the 2 files and the 2 folders (this is cached data from offline files)
  • Ensure offline files is disabled
    • Regedit HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run  look for a reg entry for a random string of characters. Note the string of characters. Delete this entry
    • Set to view hidden files/folders
    • c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming : Look for and delete file with the name of the string of characters you found in registry entry above

In skype ->  tools -> options -> manage advanced settings -> manage other programs accessing skype remove snkb0pt (user must be logged in, also if you see snkb0pt anywhere you should remove it)

Check msconfig -> startup for rogue files (with name of snkb0pt and/or strings of characters found in the registry) and disable them

User homdir

• If you view folders in homedir (i.e. c:\users or whatever drive\users) the folders that are hidden (transparent) are affected users (or open cmd cd to the users path (i.e. c:\users or whatever), then type dir /ah (this will display only the files/folders with the hidden attribute to get a fast list of all affected users, and sometimes even with fiew hidden files/folders on, you won’t be able to view the hidden files/folders that this thing hid)
  • Give yourself full control to the folder
  • Open cmd and navigate to to the homedir path (c:\users or whatever)
  • Type attrib <username> -h -s /s /d  (makes the folder unhidden)
  • Type cd  <username> to navigate inside the users folder
  • Type attrib *. -h -s /s /d (unhides all subfolders and files in users folder)
  • Remove yourself from security permissions of user
  • Navigate to users folder c:\users\<username> or users share\<username>: look for a file named Snkb0pt - maybe have icon of remote desktop connection or quicktime. Delete this.
  • There will probably be a lot of Folder Shortcuts with a recent date and most likely all dated the same. DELETE all of these shortcuts. They are fake shortcuts that launch the malware. If you view the properties of the shortcuts you will see in the target the Snkb0pt.exe file being pointed to.
  • There will probably be an autorun.inf with the same date. DELETE this as well. If you open it to edit it, you will see this is an autorun to also launch the Snkb0pt.exe file.
Kuebel
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (13,443 Views)

Re: Steps to Stop and Remove the Skype Malware/Virus

Is this confirmed these actions are risky if done improperly so I'd like to make sure take these steps will resolve the issue.

Dark0Prince
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 7 (12,383 Views)

It is risky if you don't do the permissions right and could indeed make hackers easier to hack your computer so ask a friend that knows alot about this stuff or just try it!

N3129
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 7 (10,659 Views)

I'm confused and don't understand what to do

Thedafthatter
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (3,483 Views)

manage advanced settings isn't an option in advanced settings on skype.

Dark0Prince
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (3,430 Views)

These steps weer accurate in April of 2013. I'm sure with skype updates some things have changed slightly.

Kuebel
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (3,092 Views)

Having Skype is not an advantage if it comes with malware and requires such draconian steps to "clean" it. I just "upgraded" today and this malware warning comes up. I may just forgo Skype altogether and go with Google.

dsdurkes
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (2,270 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling