Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Reply

Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

I can't properly log into skype I made a shortcut to my desktop and now skype wont allow me in the screen doesn't even load. I can't get on to skype and I have tried redownloading it but it wont work I have also tried reinstalling it. What do I do?????

 

 

 

 

 

Wisewill
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Posts: 2
Registered: 27-04-2012
Message 1 of 43 (8,377 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %programfiles% (x86)\Skype\Phone <enter> if you have Win 7 64 bit, or %programfiles%\Skype\Phone <enter> if you have the 32 bit version of Windows.

 

Find the Skype.exe (if may just say Skype) file and double click on it.  Does that start Skype?




Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1903
Posts: 12934
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 2 of 43 (8,357 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

Hey, my Skype used to work before on my windows 7 computer normally. Now I'm starting to have difficulties when singing up it would open the Skype window but after some long period of time trying to connect the message 'Skype can’t connect' will appear. When I tried using troubleshoot utility to find out where the problem is it said apparently the application is incompatible. I tried downloading the Skype four times now and the same problem appeared. It also has nothing to do with the firewall, as I have approved of Skype application, so I don’t know where the problem is I’m desperate to find out. Thanks for your understanding

veronika_vivi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 2
Registered: 12-06-2012
Message 3 of 43 (8,268 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer


veronika_vivi wrote:

Hey, my Skype used to work before on my windows 7 computer normally. Now I'm starting to have difficulties when singing up it would open the Skype window but after some long period of time trying to connect the message 'Skype can’t connect' will appear. When I tried using troubleshoot utility to find out where the problem is it said apparently the application is incompatible. I tried downloading the Skype four times now and the same problem appeared. It also has nothing to do with the firewall, as I have approved of Skype application, so I don’t know where the problem is I’m desperate to find out. Thanks for your understanding


First make sure that Skype is not running in Compatibility mode. Right click on the desktop shortcut (icon). Select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. No options should be selected there.

 

Also, what Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7410
Posts: 36798
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 4 of 43 (8,263 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

I've just checked it, and it is not running in Compatibility mode. And I'm not sure what type of firewall it is but it states something like 'Windows firewall with Advanced Security', I'm not good with computers. And I have installed the Panda Internet Security - if it helps :happy:

 

veronika_vivi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 2
Registered: 12-06-2012
Message 5 of 43 (8,242 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

You may try temporary to disable your Firewall. Concerning Panda, see this:

 

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/skype-home-unavailable/m-p/743946#M56684

 

 

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7410
Posts: 36798
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 6 of 43 (8,229 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

Nope it doesn't anymore......
I have tried 3 versions and cleaned the reg of any trace but no.

Starts
logs in
I see my contact list and a pop up of a birthday
then it freezes for a second
next main window closes then seconds later the icon in bottom.

Have noticed there are two icons sometimes.

Have tried compatibility modes / as admin on .exe

Same problem every time.
nikshelp
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Posts: 1
Registered: 24-07-2012
Message 7 of 43 (7,976 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer


nikshelp wrote:
Nope it doesn't anymore......
I have tried 3 versions and cleaned the reg of any trace but no.

Starts
logs in
I see my contact list and a pop up of a birthday
then it freezes for a second
next main window closes then seconds later the icon in bottom.

Have noticed there are two icons sometimes.

Have tried compatibility modes / as admin on .exe

Same problem every time.

Never run Skype in any Compatibility mode. Try first to reset all Skype settings.

 

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

 

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7410
Posts: 36798
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 8 of 43 (7,973 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer

I lost my Skype page when I hit Queit at the bottom of my screen.

I just can not get my old page /setting back , all I am getting is how to set up an account , how to pay  ( for new customers)

 

Please some one help me

 

 

 

arshadvasti1
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Posts: 1
Registered: 24-07-2012
Message 9 of 43 (7,969 Views)

Re: Skype wont work on Windows 7 computer


arshadvasti1 wrote:

I lost my Skype page when I hit Queit at the bottom of my screen.

I just can not get my old page /setting back , all I am getting is how to set up an account , how to pay  ( for new customers)

 

Please some one help me

 


Do not try to login to your Account page on Skype.com but start Skype program installed on your computer. Double click on the desktop shortcut (Skype icon) or go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7410
Posts: 36798
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 10 of 43 (7,966 Views)
Reply

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling