Skype wont work for me

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype wont work for me

I made another post regarding people not recieving my messages, nor do I recieve messages from anyone else. I'll start from the beginning. Maybe I'll get an answer this time.

Yesterday, during a conversation with my friend on Skype, I started getting that spinning wheel next to the timestamp signalling the messages weren't going through. So I closed Skype on my PC (had to end process with task manager cuz the newest version of skype wont let me quit the program my left clicking the icon on the taskbar and selecting quit(cuz there is no quit option....)) anyways.... So I close skype on my PC and load it on my macbook. Once I signed in and opened the chat box of the person I was just having a conversation with, all the previous conversations I had (not on my macbook cuz i never use skype on my mac) started loading furiously while alerting me with the "youve recieved an IM" alert sound.  From here everything seemed fine. I was on my macbook and carrying on my conversation.

So a few moments later I closed skype on my macbook and tried using it on my PC again. Still, I was having the same problem(spinning wheel by the timestamp) and my friend confirmed he was not recieving any of my messages.

I made a new account and tested it by adding that same friend to my new skype account. I sent him a friend request, or whatever you call it, but he told me that I accepted HIS request. Anyways,,, I'm still having the same problem on the new account. Ive uninstalled skype on both machines, and tried previous versions of skype as well at the newest version. Still, nothing,.... and now skype wont work on my macbook either.

Are Skype servers bugged right now or something? And I thought past skype conversations were saved locally on my machine, not on skypes servers. Can someone explain this to me? 

benithan000
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (1,857 Views)

Re: Skype wont work for me

benithan000 wrote:

I made another post regarding people not recieving my messages, nor do I recieve messages from anyone else. I'll start from the beginning. Maybe I'll get an answer this time.

Yesterday, during a conversation with my friend on Skype, I started getting that spinning wheel next to the timestamp signalling the messages weren't going through. So I closed Skype on my PC (had to end process with task manager cuz the newest version of skype wont let me quit the program my left clicking the icon on the taskbar and selecting quit(cuz there is no quit option....)) anyways.... So I close skype on my PC and load it on my macbook. Once I signed in and opened the chat box of the person I was just having a conversation with, all the previous conversations I had (not on my macbook cuz i never use skype on my mac) started loading furiously while alerting me with the "youve recieved an IM" alert sound.  From here everything seemed fine. I was on my macbook and carrying on my conversation.

So a few moments later I closed skype on my macbook and tried using it on my PC again. Still, I was having the same problem(spinning wheel by the timestamp) and my friend confirmed he was not recieving any of my messages.

I made a new account and tested it by adding that same friend to my new skype account. I sent him a friend request, or whatever you call it, but he told me that I accepted HIS request. Anyways,,, I'm still having the same problem on the new account. Ive uninstalled skype on both machines, and tried previous versions of skype as well at the newest version. Still, nothing,.... and now skype wont work on my macbook either.

Are Skype servers bugged right now or something? And I thought past skype conversations were saved locally on my machine, not on skypes servers. Can someone explain this to me? 

Skype clients will sync for multi-chats/group chats from one system/device to another. There is no way to disable this.

For the PC:

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... , what happens?

If you see a message box that contains a connect button, please click on the connect button.

If the page fails to display, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by clicking this link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 2 of 10 (1,716 Views)

Step 1 didnt work.

Step 2 link lead me to my Skype account control panel.. is that some kind of joke to waste my time? lol

benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 10 (1,710 Views)

can you answer this question..

How did my Skype go from sending/receiving messages to not being able to do anything? Without updating or changing the software or settings at all..
benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (1,708 Views)

benithan00 wrote:
can you answer this question..

How did my Skype go from sending/receiving messages to not being able to do anything? Without updating or changing the software or settings at all..

Please check the version you have now, was it updated?

A new version has just been released September 29th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

This new version is 5.6.0.105 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Release Notes: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/09/skype_56_for_windows_with_improved_screen_sharing_release_note...

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 10 (1,704 Views)

[ Edited ]

benithan00 wrote:

Step 1 didnt work.

Step 2 link lead me to my Skype account control panel.. is that some kind of joke to waste my time? lol

The newer Skype clients use IE ("Internet Explorer") internally. It is a test to see if IE is working properly, not a joke.

So....Even if IE is not your default browser, if IE is not currently setup properly, it can cause these kinds of issues.

I donate my time to help people here, if I waste ("their") time, I waste my time as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 10 (1,703 Views)

benithan000 wrote:

This is only regarding your problem with not being able to Quit Skype using the taskbar icon. Please see the last few posts in this thread:

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/No-quot-Quit-quot-option-in-Skype-5-5/m-p/196384#M19475

I don’t have any idea whether this can also have any effect on your other problems. Most likely not.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7324
Message 7 of 10 (1,691 Views)

ok i just updated to skype 5.6.0.105 and i still have the same problem.... let me put this in bold because your suggestions dont seem to be aimed at my problem

I cannot receive or send messages to ANYONE on my skype contacts list. When I send text, I get the spinning wheel by the timestamp and the message never gets delivered. I don't recieve messages but when someone on my contacts list goes offline/online it will indicate that.

benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,674 Views)

In step 2 of your suggestions, can you explain to me what that step has to do with being able to send and recieve messages?

The link you told me to launch that is supposed to have a "connect button" (screenshot of what im supposed to see?) loads fine but I don't see what you are talking about

benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (1,669 Views)

bump
benithan00
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,650 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling