Skype won't let me call or answer calls.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype won't let me call or answer calls.

I turned off my computer while in a call, which caused this. I've uninstalled it numerous times, updated, downgraded, etc. I can't even call echo, so it's not a problem with the group I'm in. I can't do anything but IM, and it's annoying.

captainzef
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 15 (17,565 Views)

Re: Skype won't let me call or answer calls.

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 797
Message 2 of 15 (17,563 Views)

I'll try that. I'm running Windows 7, and I'm up to date on everything.

captainzef
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (17,561 Views)

First Please try this....

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

If the above does not work, then please do this:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 15 (17,558 Views)

Double post, sorry. That didn't work. It seems like it's permanently like this, lol.

captainzef
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (17,557 Views)

Did you try both things, in my last post, like install the beta version?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 15 (17,555 Views)

Yeah, I did that. This all happened after I force shut downed my computer while in call.

captainzef
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (17,549 Views)

It’s very possible that after a forced shutdown of your computer you will have a number of temporary files left in Skype User folder. These files should be deleted. You can do as follows:

Make sure that Skype is actually not running on your PC (Quit or kill using Task
Manager). Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter. This will open the folder with all local settings for Skype. Go trough the whole Skype User folder (including subfolders) and delete any files starting with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock. Restart Skype.

If this doesn’t help, then it might be that some of the database files or configuration files are corrupted. Rename the Skype User folder to something like Skype_old. Don’t delete, just rename, because by deleting will result in loss of the call and chat history. Restart Skype. A new Skype User folder will be recreated in %appdata% with all settings reset to default. Restart Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6510
Message 8 of 15 (17,535 Views)

I seriously thought this one would've helped.. Nothing changed. Everything reset, but i cant call
captainzef
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (17,530 Views)

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explore enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 15 (17,529 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling