Skype with Xsplit

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Skype with Xsplit

Hi

I am trying to show a powerpoint presentation and some videos using Xsplit and Skype. After so much of hardwork got this stuff working but stll i am facing an issues. When i call the other pc where skype is installed, the video is clear at the begining. May be after 3 to 4 seconds, skype changes its video size and as a result the video becomes blur. I guessed it might be because of internet problem. But my internet speed was 4 mbps. 

I am using latest version of skype and Xsplit. Will be thankful if someone can help me on this.

Thanks

Ganesh

Advansys
Casual Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Hi, I've had the same problem and found a temporary 'work-around' to get to a maximum of 640x360 resolution, which appears to be the limit supported for the XSplit virtual webcam driver by Skype versions 6.3 and above.  I do not know why this limit now exists.  Previous Skype versions could transmit the XSplit broadcast stream via the virtual webcam driver at much higher resolutions. :sad:

Try the following settings in XSplit:

• Set View | Resolution: 640x360 (360p)
  • If you are using your webcam too in the broadcast stream, configure your Video Output settings for your camera in XSplit to something like 640x480 or 640x360.
  • Restart Skype.

The most important part is to set your broadcast stream resolution to 640x360, which should prevent Skype from dropping back to 320x240.  If this does not work, I have found that manually removing the webcam definition entries from the config.xml file seemed to help.  However, a Skype restart (quit the application, not just log-out) should fix it, without fiddling with the config directly.

I would certainly like to see Skype work effectively with virtual webcam drivers like it did previously, particularly with XSplit.  It's hard to understand why virtual webcams should not work at least the same or better with newer releases of Skype.

Greg

View solution in original post
gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 21 (6,100 Views)

Re: Skype with Xsplit

4Mbps is likely your download speed, not your upload speed
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 370
Message 2 of 21 (6,094 Views)

When I tried transferring a file to check the speed, I got nearly 3 mbps upload...
Posted from SonyEricsson SK17i
gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 21 (6,089 Views)

are you aware that you don't really need to use Xsplit to share a PowerPoint presentation using Skype?

what happens when you use a real webcam?

I have heard there are issues between Skype and Xsplit (and perhaps other virtual cameras) -- I know you said latest, but I need to know exactly what version of Skype that you are using

also, could you please run the tests here http://www.speedtest.net/ and here http://www.pingtest.net/ and then report back the results here (hopefully you can to post links to those results)

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 370
Message 4 of 21 (6,076 Views)

Version of Skype: 6.3.0.107

Version of Xsplit: 1.2(Latest release)

Speed of machine from which i call the other

3.04mbps download speed

3.68mbps upload speed

Ping test result of the same machine

Packet lost test failed

Ping : 83ms

Jitter: 57 ms

This is for the machine from which i make call. Please update if you also want the same kinda data for the machine i am using to receive or view..

gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 21 (6,070 Views)

Yeah i am aware... I can also do it using normal screen share. But my concern is that i also need to play some videos relating to PPT. That is the reason i am using Xsplit as the video looks too jerky if i do without Xsplit. Also the reason is we have subscribed a year long pack for Xsplit.

I have attached the screenshot of speed test and ping test for more of our reference.

gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 21 (6,068 Views)

I had a chat with the Xsplit guys and they asked me about a call info and have given them. i am also attaching a copy of screenshot with this post. Would be helpful in some way i guess. They have clearly told it is not an issue at their end and to contact skype which would be a problem. Would be helpful if someone can come out with a solution as i have an assignment in next 3 days..

gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 21 (6,044 Views)

Is there someone who can help me on this??

gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 21 (5,998 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've had the same problem and found a temporary 'work-around' to get to a maximum of 640x360 resolution, which appears to be the limit supported for the XSplit virtual webcam driver by Skype versions 6.3 and above.  I do not know why this limit now exists.  Previous Skype versions could transmit the XSplit broadcast stream via the virtual webcam driver at much higher resolutions. :sad:

Try the following settings in XSplit:

• Set View | Resolution: 640x360 (360p)
  • If you are using your webcam too in the broadcast stream, configure your Video Output settings for your camera in XSplit to something like 640x480 or 640x360.
  • Restart Skype.

The most important part is to set your broadcast stream resolution to 640x360, which should prevent Skype from dropping back to 320x240.  If this does not work, I have found that manually removing the webcam definition entries from the config.xml file seemed to help.  However, a Skype restart (quit the application, not just log-out) should fix it, without fiddling with the config directly.

I would certainly like to see Skype work effectively with virtual webcam drivers like it did previously, particularly with XSplit.  It's hard to understand why virtual webcams should not work at least the same or better with newer releases of Skype.

Greg

Advansys
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 9 of 21 (5,988 Views)

Hi Greg

Thanks for the response. Will try this now. Can i know how to remove webcam entries manually form Config.xml. I was certainly adviced from a blog to change the webcam resolution and update fps using config file. Is this what you talk about ??

And my webcam resolution drops much lower when seen using Technical call info while making calls. I too tried the same with skype version 6.0.0.120. Still the same. Would you suggest some earlier versions of skype so that i will try downloading the same and check.

Thanks

Ganesh

gane3030
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 21 (5,982 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling