Skype window keeps popping up randomly

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Skype window keeps popping up randomly

I'll pile on.. Win7 x64, Skype 5.3.0.120 (both desktop and laptop). Approximately once a day Skype will open, without prompting or direction, the home screen with an internal overlay. Usually something about connecting my contacts through facebook or somesuch other drivel.

• Yes, the application is running quietly in the taskbar. 
  • Yes, when I quit the application this behavior does not happen. 
  • No, I do not find this behavior acceptable.

No other application I use feels the need to randomly steal focus while I'm working and force me to interact with it. I enjoy Skype and use it for work five days a week. This behavior will not be allowed to continue. I will seek another application. Yes, it's *that* important. Thank you.

oMaT
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 11 of 35 (3,091 Views)

Killing the Skype Home popup with a program

Someone made a small program specifically designed to get rid of that annoying Skype Home window.

Just unpack the .zip, run the executable and right-click the tray-icon (resembles a small, white marble) to enable automatic startup, persistent mode etc.

With persistent mode enabled, it will continue to look for the Skype Home window after closing it the first time.

Link (copy-paste): http://bit.ly/nyvoLb

The window will still popup and steal focus, but using this program it will at least go away almost immediately. So far I haven't seen any other solution, and Skype so far doesn't give any option to turn it off.

tachylatus
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 35 (3,089 Views)

Yo, Skype website now says there is no Beta version available. Can you (or somebody) give me a link to one! This extraneous popup stuff is an amazing nuisance!

davidtaffs
Casual Tourist
Message 13 of 35 (2,938 Views)

Version 5.5 is now out of Beta and is now the official release so downloading the normal Windows version should update your skype.

jcwhite_uk
Novel Tourist
Message 14 of 35 (2,904 Views)

I believe skype have purposely programmed the program to do it, very annoying.

call-a-tech
Novel Tourist
Message 15 of 35 (2,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

TheUberOverLord wrote:

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Mr Uber does it again :tongue: To many people, saying "Using Windows File Explorer do: %appdata%\skype" makes no sense!

For those who would like clearer instructions here goes :happy: :

1. Close Skype if it is already running using the Quit option when you right click the icon in the system tray.

2. Open the Control Pannel and Add & Remove Programs if you are using XP or earlier or Programs and Features for Vista or later then uninstall Skype.

3. Open Windows Explorer by holding the Win key and pressing E then in the current location shown at the top type: %appdata%\skype  then press enter. Now switch to detailed view by right clicking a blank area of the folder and select View then Detailed. Now look for a file called shared with XML Document in the Type column (as file extensions are usually hidden!). Right click the file and delete it if it is there.

4. I'm sorry but Uber's instructions for this step are so unclear even I could not understand them at first! What he wants you to do is after deleting the file above look at the list of folders in the current folder for one that is the same as your Skype user ID. Open that folder and then look for the file config again with XML Document in the Type coloumn. Right click the file and delete it.

5. Uber's instructions here will confuse those of you with a 64bit version of Windows as Skype will not be installed in the %programfiles% folder! So here is what you do:

Open Windows Explorer with Win+E again.
Open the main system drive that has (C: ) after it's name, usually the first one shown.

If you see a folder called Program Files (x86) open that one otherwise open Program Files

Look for the Skype folder and if it's there right click it and delete.

6. Now download and install Skype as instructed by Uber, at least he got one step clear!

I hope that makes things clearer for some of you trying to follow Uber's instructions :happy:

Tanjo3000
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 16 of 35 (2,850 Views)

Well, I thought this would be fixed in beta. But after a week or two beta started doing the same thing!!! Now I see that even more effort was put into this "feature" - it was programmed not only to annoy once a day, it was also programmed NOT to do it during the first few days. This "feature" must be backed by some genius business plan, however I fail to see how it brings more profit.

I came back to this thread because minutes ago skype threw me out of the game I was playing. This is really annoying. Do I have to re-install skype every two weeks just to keep it from popping up unexpectedly? And no, exiting skype is not a solution.

I will bump this thread each time skype does this while I'm using the computer.

BUMP.

diba_klp
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 17 of 35 (2,763 Views)

diba_klp wrote:

Well, I thought this would be fixed in beta. But after a week or two beta started doing the same thing!!! Now I see that even more effort was put into this "feature" - it was programmed not only to annoy once a day, it was also programmed NOT to do it during the first few days. This "feature" must be backed by some genius business plan, however I fail to see how it brings more profit.

I came back to this thread because minutes ago skype threw me out of the game I was playing. This is really annoying. Do I have to re-install skype every two weeks just to keep it from popping up unexpectedly? And no, exiting skype is not a solution.

I will bump this thread each time skype does this while I'm using the computer.

BUMP.

A new version has just been released August 23, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype

This new version is 5.5.0.114 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 575
Message 18 of 35 (2,758 Views)

Please make sure you check ALL the complain threads before deciding to upgrade.... Piece of advice...
-----------------------------
Pissed Off Skype User
pissedoffskypeu
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 19 of 35 (2,756 Views)

I will install the new version, BUT WILL IT FIX THE RANDOM POPPING UP??? I'm 99% sure it won't.

diba_klp
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 20 of 35 (2,753 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling