Skype window keeps popping up randomly

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype window keeps popping up randomly

[ Edited ]

Hello

Skype keeps popping up randomly on my computer screen. All options for the different notifications are unchecked.

It is especially annoying because the window will pop up in the middle of the night, my computer is in my bedroom. It is also annoying because it seems that I have no control over it. It just popped up a few min ago as I was busy working on my comp.

What's the deal with it, how can I prevent that from happening?

Thanks

goldline
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 35 (8,496 Views)

Re: Skype window keeps popping up randomly

Yes, I have the exact problem for several months now. It appeared after some update (other people say it was 5.1.0.112, found by google-searching "skype pops up by itself", first result). It never ever happened before that update.

Skype is always running in background, then it just opens itself, like I've double-clicked its tray icon. When this self-popup happens, it always shows "Skype Home" page. When opening, it steals focus from any application currently focused. If I'm playing a fullscreen 3D multiplayer game, it minimizes it, which often results in me dying at the game. It happens EXACTLY ONCE A DAY, at approximately the same time (my comp is running 24/7). CAPS LOCK CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW ANNOYING IT IS. But most annoying is the part where Skype support ignores such complaints, like they know this problem, know it can't be disabled (like it's an important "marketing" thing or something) and keep silence just not to cause massive flame.

(Sorry if that is incorrect, but that's how it looks to me)

I have clean skype installation, no extras or addons. 100% clean.

I've disabled all tips and promotions, and they never show.

I've thoroughly checked all Skype options, there's nothing even remotely like "Pop up Skype Home window once a day".

The only solution I've found so far, is to exit skype when not used... But this is not a solution, if you ask me.

So, is Skype support gonna do something about it, or just keep ignoring this?

Sorry if my English is bad, I'm russian...

Thank you for reading this, I hope for a PROFESSIONAL reply from anyone at Skype team, who knows what's going on.

diba_klp
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 2 of 35 (8,475 Views)

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release.

Check to make sure ALL notifications are off, and make sure that Skype is NOT located in the taskbar but is only an Icon in the system tray.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 797
Message 3 of 35 (8,464 Views)

OK, thanks, I've installed Skype 5.5 Beta. I'll post my results in a week or two.

diba_klp
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 35 (8,458 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 35 (8,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, so I've left my desktop and laptop running for 4 days, with different Skype versions. On the laptop v5.3.0.120 kept doing this **bleep**, and each morning Skype window was already open. But on the desktop with v5.5.0.110 it never happened again.

So, install Beta and it won't happen anymore!

Thanks.

[Mod Note: Please refrain from using inappropriate language in the Skype community. Thanks!]

diba_klp
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 35 (8,437 Views)

This sound like my problem, and i'd like the beta too.  But i don't see it as a choice anywhere.  How do I get the windos beta?  URL please.  Thanks!

robertshomebase
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 35 (8,355 Views)

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 35 (8,349 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is happening to me too. Sometimes a couple of times a day, the main Skype window randomly pops up in front of whatever I'm doing and steals the kbd focus. Every morning when I come in the Skype window is open too. This is the main window with the menu bar, contacts on the left, ads/calls on the right in the big open window.

Please fix -- it's really annoying!

(btw: Skype for Windows, 5.3.0.120, Win7 Ultimate)

GaryO
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 35 (8,337 Views)

The same thing happens over here! WinXP and WIN7. Skype 5.3.0.120

Was getting on my nerves, so I first decided to exit Skype and research the problem on Google.

I'm glad it is not happening only on my computers. But I'm still concerned about a virus eating my computer or other scaring little things that lurk on the Internet and USB flash drives.

I will be visiting this thread next time Skype pops up.

Thanks

sjeanr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 35 (8,080 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling