Skype stops working after 20 minutes

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype stops working after 20 minutes

Does anyone have experienced audio issues on Skype after 20 minutes of call?
It's not random, I'm using a PC and every time after 20 minutes of call I can't understand a word of my contact because I hear robotic and slow motion voice.

Here it's a screenshot at the beginning of my call:

and here it's a screenshot at 20 minutes of call:

As you can see, at the beginning of the call, the field "Recv packet loss" is populated with 0.0%/0.0% and the field "SessionIn" with DIRECT_TCP.
At the end of the call, "Recv packet loss" is populated with 39.9%/206.1% and "SessionIn" with UDP.
Furthermore, the field "Problems" at the end of the call is populated with "UNRECV_COMMS".

Any clue what the problem could be with Skype?

Thank you

CelloBass
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 22 (2,285 Views)

Re: Skype stops working after 20 minutes

This can have several reasons. Starting from software, over your hardware router to your and your call partner's internet connection.
Let's start at the beginning: Are you using the latest Skype version on both ends?

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10249
Message 2 of 22 (2,275 Views)

Yes I'm sure we're running the latest version of Skype.
I use Skype with different people and my call partners have never experienced anything like this, I'm the only one with this problem so I think the problem is by my side.
I always use Skype to call overseas.
0 Kudos
CelloBass
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (2,272 Views)

I’m not saying that this is the reason for the problems which you are experiencing but the
screenshots of the Technical Call Info show Skype version 5.1.0.112. This is definitely not the last version.

0 Kudos
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7330
Message 4 of 22 (2,268 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mmm why the about section says "Your version is up to date"?

I'm trying to download another version of Skype. I'll get back to you as soon as I call one of my friends!

0 Kudos
CelloBass
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (2,259 Views)

The latest full version is 5.3.0.120.  If you haven't found it already you can get the full installer here:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1892
Message 6 of 22 (2,245 Views)

there are indeed cases where skype will say that you already have the most updated version, even the one you are using is not. Not sure if this is a bug or just isolated instances. Just download the latest version of Skype from the link provided by g4pilut. :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

0 Kudos
Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1408
Message 7 of 22 (2,242 Views)

Having said all that, I agree with ruwim's thought that updating to the latest version won't fix this particular problem.  Maybe a miracle will happen....

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1892
Message 8 of 22 (2,238 Views)

G-D makes miracles - NOT skype  :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
adamharris007
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 22 (2,227 Views)

is it possible to bypass your router and connect to ISP modem directly with Ethernet cable?  (it could save considerable troubleshooting time if we could isolate the issue to be related to your router)

I would also suggest that both ends should run the test here h t t p://pingtest.net/ and report back here with the results obtained -- note that sometimes 'more telling' results can be obtained by picking a test server that is geographically close to the contact that you are trying to Skype

Regards,
Neil
0 Kudos
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 819
Message 10 of 22 (2,216 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling