Skype's login screen won't appear!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype's login screen won't appear!

Heya, I've been having a problem as of a few hours ago in which the log in screen doesn't show up when I start Skype. It looks like this:

As you can see, it's Windows 7, just in case that's important. I've tried uninstalling and installing again, and I made sure it wasn't running in compatibility mode. Until I can figure this out, I am stuck with using skype on my phone. This annoys me. Someone please help cause I have noooo idea what to do. Thanks in advance lol.

TealFerines
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 65 (34,340 Views)

Re: Skype's login screen won't appear!

What you all are seeing is caused by malfunctioning Internet Explorer and JavaScript on your computer. Skype (since version 5.5) is using Internet Explorer and JavaScript to create and manage the login screen.

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type winver.exe and then press Enter.

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6290
Message 2 of 65 (34,189 Views)

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. My computer runs on 32 bit windows 7 Ultimate, but when I tried to open internet Explorer, it won't. I tried reinstalling it, but it doesn't help. What's my next step? Please, help.

ruwim wrote:

What you all are seeing is caused by malfunctioning Internet Explorer and JavaScript on your computer. Skype (since version 5.5) is using Internet Explorer and JavaScript to create and manage the login screen.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ulka
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 65 (34,184 Views)

skype cannot connect to the internet
johnackerman28
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 65 (34,180 Views)

ulka wrote:

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. My computer runs on 32 bit windows 7 Ultimate, but when I tried to open internet Explorer, it won't. I tried reinstalling it, but it doesn't help. What's my next step? Please, help.

Are you saying that you are still not able to open your Internet Explorer? What version of IE do you have now?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 65 (34,170 Views)

ruwim wrote:

My version of Windows is 64-bit.

I also have the issue in which Internet Explorer does not start up when I try to open it. I tried to install IE9 via Google Chrome, but it just said I have a more recent version. That's all I can figure out.

TealFerines
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 6 of 65 (34,152 Views)

TealFerines wrote:

My version of Windows is 64-bit.

I also have the issue in which Internet Explorer does not start up when I try to open it. I tried to install IE9 via Google Chrome, but it just said I have a more recent version. That's all I can figure out.

You may try the repair solutions proposed here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer

Another option is to uninstall and then reinstall your IE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

Meanwhile, you can try this temporary solution, which might enable login to Skype, but some functions, as e.g. Add a contact, will most likely still not be available.

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes.

Open on your computer the C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe". Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 65 (34,143 Views)

Iamalso having the same  exact problem..I have uninstalled and reinstalled like 20 times. Please help
Im using..
-32bit
-Windows Explorer 9

oddittrueheart
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 65 (33,903 Views)

oddittrueheart wrote:

Iamalso having the same  exact problem..I have uninstalled and reinstalled like 20 times. Please help
Im using..
-32bit
-Windows Explorer 9

Try this:

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

The Command Prompt window should show:

C:\Windows\System32>

If this is not the case, then in the Command Prompt type:  cd c:\windows\system32 and press Enter.

Type this and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Next type this and press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript9.dll

After each Enter you should receive a message saying that DllRegisterServer in XXX.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer.

Make now the test showing if your Internet Explorer can execute JavaScript.

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 65 (33,900 Views)

the screen wont appear.
Posted from Asus TF101
shannafai
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 65 (31,053 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling