Skype opens with an empty white window

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype opens with an empty white window

[ Edited ]

Skype will open but it is just a white screen, the only thing I see is the top tool bar (Skype, Tools, Help) it will not let me do anything else. I tried so many things to try to fix it but I can't. Help? I attached a screen shot of what it looks like, maybe that will help to figure out what the problem is. Thank you.

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

loveit5555 wrote:

I opened the first site and it said JS is working. Then I opened the second site and I saw the Logo pics, I did both using IE. Skype is still not working. Any other ideas?

There might still be some restrictions on ActiveX execution in your IE. Try this:

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. If you have 64-bit Windows then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" (or with (x86) if you are on 64-bit Windows). Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut. Can you now login to Skype?

View solution in original post
loveit5555
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 58 (32,151 Views)

Re: A White Screen.

What Windows version are you on? Can you browse the web using your Internet Explorer and what version of IE is installed?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6071
Message 2 of 58 (31,969 Views)

Windows 7, yes, and IE 9. I've found hundreds of other posts about this same topic, but none of the other solutions have worked. HELP PLEASE!

loveit5555
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 58 (31,960 Views)

The problems with the login screen are, as rule, related to some settings in Internet Explorer. Do these tests using your IE:

Open this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

Next, again using IE, open this link:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/png_mouseover.htm

Can you see the displayed images?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 58 (31,956 Views)

I opened the first site and it said JS is working. Then I opened the second site and I saw the Logo pics, I did both using IE. Skype is still not working. Any other ideas?

loveit5555
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 58 (31,890 Views)

loveit5555 wrote:

There might still be some restrictions on ActiveX execution in your IE. Try this:

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. If you have 64-bit Windows then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" (or with (x86) if you are on 64-bit Windows). Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut. Can you now login to Skype?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 58 (31,886 Views)

THANK YOU!! I've been troubleshooting Skype for hours. This is the only one that actually worked! :(y):

vanillaveronica
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 58 (31,512 Views)

vanillaveronica wrote:

THANK YOU!! I've been troubleshooting Skype for hours. This is the only one that actually worked! :(y):

Is the "Add a contact" function working for you?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 58 (31,506 Views)

Sorry only havin the problem now *NEW*
I've tried what you said but it says

'The name "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"/legaacylogin specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct'

what do i do ?

xtracyy6x
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 58 (31,015 Views)

xtracyy6x wrote:

Sorry only havin the problem now *NEW*
I've tried what you said but it says

'The name "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"/legaacylogin specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct'

what do i do ?

The problem is with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript.

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 58 (31,011 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling