Skype not detecting my webcam, please reply..

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype not detecting my webcam, please reply..

Hi, I am currently using the built-in HD Webcam 101 on my laptop for Skype. This is my exact laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4229965&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us 

I've been able to use the video call perfectly fine up until this past week. Skype is not able to detect my webcam at all and on my Device Manager, my HD Webcam 101 says that it is working properly.

I've tried disabling and then enabling it. It works! But, the same issue re-occurs whenever I restart my laptop. Obviously, I don't want to keep doing that procedure just to get it working. Is there anyway you guys can help me fix this issue? It is becoming a big problem because I make a lot of business video calls over Skype. Thanks...hope I get a response asap.

beeraii93
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 36 (61,012 Views)

Re: Skype not detecting my webcam, please reply..

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

How are you disabling and then enabling your webcam to get it to start working?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 926
Message 2 of 36 (61,001 Views)

I am currently running on the 5.8.0.158 version.

I go on my Device Manager to disable my webcam and then I restart my computer. Then, I enable it and start my Skype and that's how it works.

beeraii93
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 36 (60,990 Views)

[ Edited ]

Are you starting Skype automatically when you start Windows, or do you start Skype manually after Windows is already running?   If you're starting Skype with Windows, try changing to letting Windows start before starting Skype to see if that makes any difference.

When Skype doesn't detect your webcam, if you click on Tools > Options > Video settings, what does it say in the "Select webcam" box?    If you click on the pull down arrow next to that box, are there choices that can be selected there?

If there is nothing that can be selected in Video settings, and since you weren't having this problem up until recently, you can try recetting your Skype configuration files with this procedure:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 36 (60,987 Views)

I start Skype manually after Windows is already running. And no, it doesn't make any difference.

When I click on the pull down arrow next to the box, it says HD Webcam 101 and CyberLink Web Camera Filter but this Cyberlink has been in it ever since and nothing changed.

I did what you said but the same issue is still occurring.

Is there any other way to fix this?

beeraii93
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 36 (60,962 Views)

When you have the problem, that is Skype not finding your webcam, see if the webcam works in this test site:  http://www.sillywebcam.com/test.htm  

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 36 (60,943 Views)

Yes, it works perfectly fine. For some strange reason, it doesn't work with Skype.

beeraii93
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 36 (60,918 Views)

try getting another webcam app

like youcam
fisho45
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 36 (60,200 Views)

skype couldn't fine a webcam with a webcam you can make free video call to anyone else on skype anywere in the world

natashawilliam
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 36 (54,781 Views)

g4pilut wrote:

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

How are you disabling and then enabling your webcam to get it to start working?

natashawilliam
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 36 (54,781 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling