Skype more than 30 day instant message log help

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype more than 30 day instant message log help

Hi

I hope that someone can offer me assistance.

Im currently going through a dispute with a client about a project and need to get a backup of all of Skype correspondance including correspondacnce dating back further than 30 days. Is this possible?

gazenium
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: Skype more than 30 day instant message log help

My chat log goes back years.  As long as your main.db file located in a sub folder of your username at :  %appdata%\Skype isn't renamed, deleted or damaged your history will be there (i.e. %appdata%\Skype\yourSkypeName\main.db).  If you used another computer at that time, you would have to go back to that computer to retrieve those logs.

If you are able to retrieve an older copy or just want to verify the historical contents of your existing file you can use 3rd party software like SkypeLogView to read the file.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1046
Message 2 of 4 (121 Views)

Hi great advice thank you. I can see all the way back to the 31st December, looks like everything else is stored on the iPad. Any idea how to access the main.db file on the laptop?
Posted from Apple iPhone
gazenium
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (115 Views)

My earlier response provided you guidance on how to access the main.db file from the computer.  Each device whether it is portable, OSX/Windows/Linux uses the same file so you can transplant one to the other or maintain separate copies.  Some 3rd party software could be used to join the logs of the two.    If you need to access or replace the main.db file on your iPad, you can follow the guidance in one of my earlier posts.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/call-history/m-p/2461659/highlight/true#M216167

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1046
Message 4 of 4 (108 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling