Skype logs in and shows me 'online' but I have pro...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype logs in and shows me 'online' but I have problems chatting/calling

[ Edited ]

I have Skype 6.7 desktop on Windows 7.

In the last day, everything has gone Pete Tong and I can't make or receive any calls or chats. I show as online and green tick, I have contacts who are also online green tick. When I write them a message it simply sits there with a twirly grey thing and doesn't deliver. One message did eventually go through like 3 hours later, none of the other tests have delivered yet. When I try to call people it shows the 'calling' screen and makes the connecting bongo noise, but it doesn't ring and eventually hangs up, telling me they're busy.

I've had 4 chats with customer service, who took me through everything! Updating Skype (clean re-install) to the latest version, clearing my cache, deleting the config and shared files, trying Skype with Microsoft Security Essentials disabled, manually allowing Skype on the firewall settings. All the while I was restarting my computer and making sure all other applications stayed closed. I tried everything they suggested without anything working even a slice. They told me they'd 'escalate' the issue and I'd get an email from tech support. I've got nothing so far.

My internet connection seems fine, I've power-cycled my router etc. The computer is actually connected via ethernet. It's handled Skype calls fine until this problem. Our broadband speed is over the recommended amount for running Skype. There are no issues with my ISP.

I've tried logging in on an iPhone (worked fine), calling myself from a friend's computer (it didn't ring for her and then said there was no answer, nothing showed up on my screen), logging in with a different account on the problematic computer (same issue - slow and no messages getting through). My other laptop had no issues connecting to my two accounts and my friend used the same internet connection to successfully video Skype her family on her own computer. From these tests it looks like it's a problem personal to this computer.

I had made minor changes to software over the last 24 hours. Yesterday I'd uninstalled Norton (came pre-loaded on this computer and was at the end of the free trial) and installed MSE. The issues became apparent this morning. I also signed up for a Skype Number yesterday, but we tested it yesterday and everything called through fine. I've also tried System Restore to an earlier point when the system worked fine. The Skype problems were still there. 

I'm freaking out. Don't know what to do. I use Skype as my main contact for my jobs as I work from home and it's completely useless at the moment. Can anyone offer any help, or any other things I could try? I'm really bummed out that I just spent $18 on a Skype number and now everything has bunged up.

You're my only hope, peoples.

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

have you tried the previous Skype 6.6.0.106 version?

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.6.0.106.msi

or even the older 6.1.0.129 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

View solution in original post
h30
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 19 (7,315 Views)

Re: Skype logs in and shows me 'online' but I have problems chatting/calling

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6303
Message 2 of 19 (7,283 Views)

[ Edited ]

I used that tool to remove traces of Norton but it's not worked. Skype is just as slow this morning. I also cleaned my browsing history in IE (even though I used it only once to download Chrome).

There HAS to be a cause to this problem.

h30
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 19 (7,269 Views)

Try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old.

If you are on the latest Skype 6.5/6.6/6.7 version, then do also this:

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp%\skype and then press Enter or click the OK button. Delete the DbTemp folder.

Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 19 (7,266 Views)

Well that allowed me to log in and shows me as online, but now it's got no contacts, and if I try to import or search for contacts, I just get blue spinning icon. Doesn't seem to load.

h30
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 19 (7,260 Views)

Ok, after literally 15 minutes, my search completed and I could add a contact. Same issue as before - my messages aren't going through, my calls aren't ringing and say no answer, and the contact cannot communicate with me (it's actually a different account that I've logged into on the laptop next to me).

h30
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 19 (7,257 Views)

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 19 (7,247 Views)

IE10, set to update automatically.

h30
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (7,239 Views)

Try to uninstall IE10 and reinstall IE9.

In order to uninstall IE10 you should go to Windows Control Panel -> Program and Features -> View installed updates -> Microsoft Windows -> Windows Internet Explorer 10.

http://techdows.com/2012/11/how-to-downgrade-from-ie10-to-ie9-or-ie8-windows-7.html

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 19 (7,235 Views)

I tried that, restarted, still the same issue. :mansad:

h30
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 19 (7,227 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling